Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.

If you are driving with a suspended license in NY state what

If you are driving with a suspended license in NY state what are the consequences if you get pulled over by the police? Is it considered a misdemeanor or violation of any sorts? Also if you are temporarily driving with a copy of your license (valid license NOT suspended) would that be considered legal?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Driving with a suspended license is charged as Aggravated Unlicensed Operation in the third degree, for a first offense. N.Y. Veh. & Traffic Laws, Section 511. It's a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days of imprisonment and fines of $200 to $500. The judge will also extend the suspension, making it longer before the person can drive legally. Depending on the reason for the suspension, the person could be charged with second degree aggravated unlicensed operation which carries a mandatory 7 days imprisonment.

Typically, when a person is charged with driving without a license, the charges will be dismissed if he produces a valid license in court. So, if a person gets a citation for driving with a copy instead of the real thing, he may be able to have the charge dismissed later.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.