Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.
4460311

If a car pulled into a parking lot hits another a front to

If a car pulled into a parking lot hits another a front to front bumpers as they were heading out who is at fault? If the car pulling out did not have on their lights?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did one vehicle have the right of way and the other did not? What were the weather conditions and time of day at the time of the accident?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I am not sure of, who has the right of way. I thought both. It was night time @9:00 pm. Clear. it was last night. I had puller in about a cars length and there she was. Before I knew it I was braking to minimize the impact. I did not see her at all. She stated that she was wondering if I saw her. So???

Hello again, Margaret.

In a parking lot, it is not always clear who has the right of way, but fault could be apportioned between both of the drivers on a percentage basis by a judge or jury if the matter resulted in a lawsuit.

Based on the information you have provided, it would appear that the driver who did not have their lights on would typically be more at fault since it was dark. If they had their lights on, the other vehicle likely would have seen that a vehicle was there and could have avoided the collision. Because of that, I would suggest that the driver which did not have their lights on would be more at fault.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.