Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

I was driving a friends car (which has insurance) and got

I was driving a friend's car (which has insurance) and got into an accident, but my license is expired. What should I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Customer:

Yes, I am online

Alex Esquire :

Was there any damage resulting from the accident and was police report filed?

Customer:

Yes to damage and no to police report.

Alex Esquire :

was anyone injured?

Customer:

No

Alex Esquire :

Can you tell me how accident happen?

Customer:

A red light turned green and I rear ended the taxi in front of me.

Alex Esquire :

When did this happen?

Customer:

about 45 minutes ago

Alex Esquire :

did you stop

Alex Esquire :

did you talk to the taxi driver?

Customer:

Yes, and exchanged information.

Alex Esquire :

how much damage did this cab driver have?

Customer:

Crack in his rear bumper

Alex Esquire :

Thank you for the information.\

Alex Esquire :

Basically, it is possible that if the accident reported to the police, DMV or insurance company, that not only insurance company would deny insurance coverage for this accident, since your license was expired at the time the accident took place, but also you can be cited for driving with expired license and your license can be suspended.

Alex Esquire :

So generally, the best thing to do is to ask the taxi driver to get an estimate and pay for his damages in exchange for a written full release from any further liability from the taxi driver.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

That does make sense. A potential issue is that he's renting the taxi and needs to report it to the owner.

Alex Esquire :

well, in that case you would want to get in touch with the owner and pay for damages directly to the owner and get a release from liability from both the owner and the cab driver

Customer:

OK. And in the case that they are not comfortable with my paying directly or do report it?

Alex Esquire :

well, in most cases the taxi driver or the taxi company would not want an accident report on their record, even if it is not their fault, so as long as, you do contact the driver and also taxi owner and let them know that you are willing to pay for the damages based on an estimate from a licensed auto repair body shop, it is a very good chance that they would be happy to make that arrangement.

Alex Esquire :

If they do not agree and file a police report, then you could face citation and potential license suspension, but at this point it might be important to address the situation related to damages to avoid a possible police report.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

OK. That makes sense.

Customer:

Thank you for the advice.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

Thank you. Will do.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

No. I think this provides me with enough information for now.

Alex Esquire :

Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer