Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years practicing traffic law.
11688690

I live in the town of Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming. Please

I live in the town of Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming. Please can you tell me where to find specific laws or the lack of them regarding riding a moped here?
Please do not confuse a moped with a motor scooter.
A moped being a powered bicycle with an engine of 49cc or less and being able to be powered both by the motor and / or pedals. A moped has a top speed of less than 30 mph.
I’m told I don’t need a license, insurance, license plates or tags and that I can ride a moped anywhere that a bicycle can be ridden unless there’s a sign specifically banning all motor vehicles. So I can ride on bicycle paths etc.
Is this correct ???
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Yes, what you were told is correct.

Here are all the statutes in Wyoming that have anything to do with a moped:

CHAPTER 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS

ARTICLE 1 - DEFINITIONS

31-1-101. Definitions.

(C) "Moped" means a vehicle equipped with two (2) or three (3) wheels, foot pedals to permit muscular propulsion by human power, an automatic transmission and a motor with cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters producing no more than two (2) brake horsepower, which motor is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum speed of no more than thirty (30) miles per hour on a level road surface;

31-5-910. Lighted lamps and illuminating devices.

Every vehicle including those listed in W.S. 31-5-901(c), except as otherwise provided in this act, upon a highway within this state at any time from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of one thousand (1,000) feet ahead shall display lighted head and other lamps and illuminating devices as respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles. Stop lights, turn signals and other signaling devices shall be lighted as prescribed for those devices.

31-5-912. Head lamps.

(a) A motor vehicle, including a multipurpose vehicle which is greater than fifty (50) inches in width, shall be equipped with at least two (2) head lamps with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps comply with the regulations of the superintendent.

(b) A motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, multipurpose vehicle which is fifty (50) inches or less in width or moped shall be equipped with at least one (1) head lamp which shall comply with the regulations of the superintendent.

31-7-109. Classes of licenses.

(a) Every driver's license issued by the division shall be classified by the class, type or endorsement of the vehicles the licensee may drive.

(b) License classification, type or endorsement shall take into account the operational characteristics of the vehicles operated.

(c) Qualifications of applicants may be determined by any test authorized by W.S. 31-7-114.

(d) Licensing classification plan:

(i) Class "A" consists of any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand (10,000) pounds, including all vehicles under classes "B" or "C", except motorcycles;

(ii) Class "B" consists of any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) or more pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle which does not have a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of ten thousand (10,000) pounds, including all vehicles under class "C", except motorcycles;

(iii) Class "C" consists of any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, except motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of class "A" or class "B" vehicles under this subsection, but that is not designed to transport sixteen (16) or more passengers including the driver or is not placarded for transportation of hazardous materials;

(iv) Class "I" indicates an instruction permit issued pursuant to W.S. 31-7-110(a) and (b);

(v) Repealed by Laws 1989, ch. 176, 2, 3.

(vi) Class "M" consists of motorcycles which may be added to a license valid for any other class or may be issued as the only class on a license if the applicant is not licensed for any other classification;

(vii) Class "I2" indicates an intermediate permit issued pursuant to W.S. 31-7-110(g).

(e) Repealed by Laws 1989, ch. 176, 2, 3.

(f) Any person licensed to drive any class of vehicle pursuant to this section may also drive a moped, multipurpose vehicle or an off-road recreational vehicle as defined in W.S. 31-1-101(a)(xv)(K), upon public streets or highways pursuant to W.S. 31-5-124.

(g) Repealed by Laws 1989, ch. 176, 2, 3.

(h) The following driver's license endorsements are special authorizations permitting the driver to operate certain types of motor vehicles or transport certain types of cargo if the endorsement is displayed on the driver license:

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years practicing traffic law.