Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
20355756

I bought a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland about 6 weeks

I bought a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland about 6 weeks ago and just after bringing it home I found three door dings that were already touched up on the two passenger doors. Long story short, the car has been in the shop several times to get it fixed but each time it comes back several other things are damaged and the paint work is filled with problems like orange peel and masking lines. They had to repaint the entire side of the vehicle as well as the wheel well moldings all around due to the tire shine they used staining the paint yellow. They had to replace many trim parts as well as an inside door panel as well. I still don't have my car back and it the value of the car has drastically depreciated with shoddy workmanship. Can anyone tell me if the lemon law would apply or if there is a breach of contract as a result of them selling me a damaged car?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

Can you tell me what state you are in ?

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Illinois
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan --

-

The Federal Moss Magnusson ACT is applicable in all states for lemon law claims on new cars. Because you purchased it new less than 12 months ago, you have a lot of leverage regarding the lemon law in Illinois. For the lemon law on new cars to be applicable, the problems must (A) substantially affect the use, safety or market value of the car OR (A) the dealer has attempted to repair it four or more times in the first year or first 12K miles OR (C) it has been completely out of service for a period of more than 30 days in the first year. From what you have described to me above, you will easily meet the repair requirements or the market value requirement because the paint issues in a brand new vehicle like yours, unless they strip it and completely paint it from scratch, will impact the market value of the auto (I actually had the same thing happen on a new plymouth acclaim in the late 1980's).

-

Now, in order to take advantage of the lemon law in Illinois, you can do one of two things: (A) when you purchased the car they should have given you a packet with information -- each manufacturer must participate in an arbitration program -- if they did not give you the info on how to participate when you bought the car, you should call the Jeep headquarters and ask for the information and application forms for the arbitration program to be mailed to you (while you may think it is biased, I actually won my own lemon law arbitration with the chrylser in 1990), or (B) you can contact an attorney in Illinois who specifically handles these claims. The lemon law itself provides for the payment of attorneys fees but they must be reasonable and there is a limit (the lemon law attorney will know what it is in your state), I searched around in Illinois and found a firm that seems to handle and refer out such cases in your area -- here is the link -- http://www.illinoislemonlaw.com/ You can also call your local county bar association and tell them that you would like a referral to a local lemon law attorney specialist. They will give you several names and you can go from there.

-

I hope that helps -- Best of Luck !!

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time in assisting you today. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Legalease, Attorney
Experience: 15 years exp in driving issues