Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years practicing traffic law.

I have a question about my parents car insurance I was driving

I have a question about my parents car insurance I was driving my dads car and I do not live with him, I just need to know my dads car was insured however I had insurance on my own car on the day i had an accident so I was wondering even if I have insurance of my own but I was driving my dads car will the insurance even bother to ask about my form of insurance the damage is only about 1700 dollars Im just really a nervous person about this stuff my own policy did not have the car i drove listed on it.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

What state is this going on in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

illinois

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Did your father have insurance on the vehice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
OK, then it's a matter of priority - which insurance (yours or your father's) will pay the claim.

Liability car insurance coverage follows a driver no matter what car they are driving (as long as the vehicle was legal (ie. legally registered and licensed).

It depends on your father's auto insurance if they will cover the accident or not - there are certainly insurance carriers and policies who will not cover any driver who is not specifically named in the policy.

Since you are not a "household member" you are not automatically covered under your father's insurance policy.

So your insurance would cover the accident and damages - maybe your father's.

What you should do is file a claim on your auto policy regardless to avoid having your father's insurance rates increase from the accident.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dads insurance has already going said they will probaly oay the claim but they want to talk to me first im wondering will the ask me anything about my insurance which has policy rule that if the name is XXXXX XXXXX the policy then they will not cover that car
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
They could ask you about your insurance - but that your insurance won't pay if the person isn't a named driver on the policy isn't an issue since you were driving your father's vehicle.

So, it's about your father's insurance.

However, as I stated before, I would suggest you submit the claim to your insurance company so that your father's insurance rates don't increase from this claim.

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years practicing traffic law.