How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 25933
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Im out is state, leaving tomorrow. Received a citation for driving 30+ over t

Customer Question

Hello, I'm out is state, leaving tomorrow. Received a citation for driving 30+ over the speed limit on the highway. The citation shows a court date for 8,28.2013.
Please let me know my options. I would like to plaid guilty.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Just to be clear, you reside out of the State?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in chicago and my driver license is from Chicago as well.
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
And can you please share with me the State in which the citation was issued?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
State of Hawaii
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Since you were going 30+ mph over the speed limit, a mandatory court appearance is required. This is not like a normal speeding ticket where you can just pay a fine over the phone, online or in person. As such, you appearance is required. However, in a situation like this where you reside out of State, you can retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to appear on your behalf. It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent your legal interest. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the steps if I would like to plead guilty? Should I contact the prosecutor office and try to negotiate my position ?
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
There is no problem with doing that but it would have to be in person. It is unlikely that you will be able to just speak with the State and enter a plea over the phone. You can try speaking with the court but considering you are leaving tomorrow, there may be little time to act and even get a hold of anyone, which is why it may be best to consult with and speak with attorneys today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you recommend an attorney ? Please
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
The site does not allow us to give out personal referrals. However, you can contact the Hawaii Bar Association which has an attorney referral service set up. Here is their link.
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 3 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Traffic Law Questions