Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

On a driving test by a hospital Rehab center I entered a yellow

Customer Question

On a driving test by a hospital Rehab
center I entered a yellow light and could
safely pass on the instructions of the
Instructor I proceeded to go thru the
light. Although the rest of the one hour test was
okay, the Rehab recommended that I lose my driving privilege.
From what I gather elsewhere,it is not considered a violation as
long as the crossover was made before the light turns red
I do not feel their decision was valid and should be overturned.
What say you about this
.t feel that their decision
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for our question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that while Department of Motor Vehicles did not consider this severe enough to deny your license, this is something we get constantly in NJ traffic courts. Police write citations for running a yellow light and people argue that it is not a red light. However, the courts (as well as NJ statue 39:4-81) states that this is "failure to observe a traffic signal" and failure to slow to stop at a yellow is failure to observe a traffic signal. Under NJ law, I am afraid the courts hold that running through the yellow light is the same failure to observe a traffic signal as if the light was read pursuant to NJSA 39:4-81 and courts convict drivers of this all of the time in NJ.

Thus, this violation reported on the test by rehab was correct, even though too minor for DMV to refuse your license.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You gave me my answer but is not what I expected or wanted, but '

tank you for your service,

Thank you very much. I am sorry that the NJ laws are pretty difficult with this issue and it is something so many drivers do not realize.