Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

Hi I got a ticket speeding in sacramento, ca while going to

Hi I got a ticket speeding in sacramento, ca while going to visit my daughter who is in a treatment center in placerville and I was suppose to go to court today or pay the ticket.Will I have a fine to pay since I missed the date? I wanted to pay the ticket with monthly payments.Please advise Thanks

Dimitry Esquire :

Thank you for your question.

Dimitry Esquire :

Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Dimitry Esquire :

The fact that you missed your court date may likely cause the courts to both find you guilty by default (as you were not there to contest the ticket), and potentially issue at some point a bench warrant for failing to appear

Dimitry Esquire :

The bench warrant would be for contempt of court order, that is, failing to appeal.

Dimitry Esquire :

You likely would not need to pay an additional fine if you contact the court quick enough and offer to cover the fine with them.

Customer:

how much will I have to pay besides the ticket?

Dimitry Esquire :

It would also stop the courts from acting on the potential bench warrant if they issued one already

Dimitry Esquire :

You would likely be asked to pay court costs on top if lucky, that is about $60 or so--only if a judge is really angry at you appearing would he issue a fine for contempt.

Dimitry Esquire :

But the faster you contact the court the less likely the judge will put forward additional fines.

Dimitry Esquire :

Although at this point it is less likely that a judge would agree to a payment plan.

Customer:

So I just need to call them and talk with them. Is there anything on line to see what happened in court for today with my ticket?

Dimitry Esquire :

Please consider calling the courthouse tomorrow, stating that you did not receive the note in a timely manner, and that you are seeking to set up a payment plan if at all possible. Since it has been one day the courts may still allow it, but you should consider acting quickly.

Dimitry Esquire :

No, it would not be online so quickly. Calling them first would be wise--it may save you from having the courts issue a bench warrant against you.

Customer:

I never received a notice in the mail? The officer did tell me that in a month they were no longer sending notices but he said I would get one?

Dimitry Esquire :

That is important and should be brought up. That is called having 'no notice' for the hearing, and it may grant you the right to request a re-hearing.

Dimitry Esquire :

But that might not be necessary if you were planning on pleading guilty and just paying the fine.

Dimitry Esquire :

Hope that helps and please let me know if I can assist further. Otherwise if satisfied, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so I may obtain credit. Thank you!

Customer:

Yes I was going to pay since I can't do traffic school since I'm going to go soon for another ticket I received a few weeks before that. And these are the first tickets in years that I have gotten. But then I'm not always rushing to see my daghter who I only get to visit with twice a month.

Dimitry Esquire :

I absolutely understand, that time is obviously precious to you.

Dimitry Esquire :

While it does not excuse the speeding, I do absolutely understand why you were in such a rush to see your child.

Dimitry Esquire :

Please know that by failing to appear the judge simply upheld the fine and the points against you, so at this point unless you see a re-hearing by claiming lack of notice, that ticket and those points are on your record.

Customer:

Yes I totally agree about the speeding.So if I ask for a re hearing does that mean I can maybe get the points off?

Dimitry Esquire :

It is potentially possible if the judge agrees to reschedule, but it would really be up to the prosecutor or the police officer to allow you to plea bargain down to a lesser offense and maybe remove the points. It is possible, but it is not a certainty.

Customer:

Do the police officers always show up?

Dimitry Esquire :

Not always, no.

Customer:

OK, Well thanks for the information I really appreciate it!

Customer:

thanks again!

Dimitry Esquire :

You are most welcome, truly!

Dimitry Esquire :

If satisfied, please do not forget to rate my answers to you.

Dimitry Esquire :

Please be well and good luck tomorrow!

Customer:

I will! Thanks!

Dimitry Esquire :

You are most welcome!