Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
11182422

Hello, I just received a red light camera ticket from Beverly

Hello, I just received a red light camera ticket from Beverly Hills, CA (Wilshire and Whittier). I've done significant amount of research and realized that many people just ignored the ticket and moved on without any consequences besides the future employment background check issue. By the way, I was not driving nor was I in the car when this "incident" happened.

Hello there:

Thank you for that information. I don't want to make the wrong assumption about your question--are you asking what the expected consequences are for ignoring a red light camera ticket from Beverly Hills?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, what a quick reply! I want to know if I can ignore this ticket.

Well, it can be ignored, but not without any consequences whatsoever. The LA Superior Court is declining to report the convictions to the DMV due to budget constraints, so it doesn't have the same bite as it would otherwise. Without it being reported to the DMV, there are no points put on the person's record and their license can't be suspended for non-payment of a fine. However, an unpaid ticket can still go into collections which may damage the person's credit rating, but that's typically the extent of what the city can do if they want enforcement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the fact that I was not the driver help me in any way possible?

Well, if you can identify the driver as someone else, then it might. However, without pointing the finger, the courts will generally presume that the vehicle's registered owner was the driver.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to provide you a good review. However, I do have more things I want to talk about with you, if that is okay with you of course.

Here's a quote I read from an article: L.A. City Councilman Paul Koretz said of GC Services, "They'll never actually make you pay, and they won't put it on your credit." So I don't know if your statement is valid or not.

I've just read so many things regarding this topic. For example, I've read about the existence of snitch tickets... I've read that the LA County as a whole has shut down the program and the State Law has banned the red camera system due to its illegitimate existence, but for some reason the Beverly Hills is still enforcing this thing.

I do appreciate that additional information and I understand the uncertainty that has been caused by Beverly Hills bucking the trend and still administering tickets. However, my answer actually remains the same.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see I see. It's just that I'm a college student and I can't afford the $500 at any time soon. Do you know anyone who actually decided to ignore the red light camera ticket from Beverly Hills PD specifically and what happened to that person?

Yes, several people. They had their tickets go to collections which I am sure adversely affected their credit, but as far as I know, all of them have still not paid and don't plan to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

*Sigh so considering all cases, it would be best to just pay the ticket huh?

Well, that's a personal decision. If you don't care about your credit, there is little incentive to pay. If you care about your credit, then it's probably a good idea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're right. If the ticket gets transferred to the collections agency, do I get some time to pay for it before it affects my credit? And if it does affect my credit, does it affect the score permanently?

If it gets transferred to a collection agency, it will have appeared on your credit. The only way to avoid it appearing on your credit report is to pay it when it is first due.

No credit score is ever permanent.