Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues

What is the Voting Rights Act formula that was struck down

What is the Voting Rights Act formula that was struck down today by the Supreme Court?

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know all the specific facts of your situation. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication. Also, please be aware that none of these communications are confidential and are located on a public web site.

The formula you refer to is found in Section 4(b) of the Voting Rights Act and states as follows:

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) shall apply in any State or in any political subdivision of a state which (1) the Attorney General determines maintained on November 1, 1964, any test or device, and with respect to which (2) the Director of the Census determines that less than 50 percentum of the persons of voting age residing therein were registered on November 1, 1964, or that less than 50 percentum of such persons voted in the presidential election of November 1964.

Basically, that section determined which states would be subject to additional oversight based upon prior voter registration patterns. Those states with lower registration totals (mainly in the south) would be subjected to the additional requirements.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of my remarks.