LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.

I got a speeding ticket in Marshalltown, IA for going 85 in a 65. Is

Customer Question

I got a speeding ticket in Marshalltown, IA for going 85 in a 65. Is there anything that can be done to prevent insurance increase. In Nevada, most of the time a person can have an attorney go to court and the ticket is reduced, usually to a parking ticket. Thus preventing an insurance rate increase.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you licensed in Nevada, or in Iowa?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good morning Erica,

Thank you for the additional information.

Many moving violations in Iowa are eligible for traffic school in lieu of a conviction and points on your record. You will need to contact the court clerk where your ticket is scheduled to be heard and inquire about taking a traffic school class to avoid the points on your license.

When approved for the class, you can even take it online. When you show proof of having successfully taken the course, the ticket will be dismissed.

When it is dismissed, the state of Iowa will not report any conviction to NV and there will be no points added to your driving history, and your insurance premium will not rise as a result. You do not need an attorney for this process either.

Here is a link to an informative site which discusses this process in Iowa. Look at the section on "Dismiss Your Iowa Speeding Ticket Today":

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good evening Erica,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards XXXXX XXXXX

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.