Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues

**VT** A has three surcharge points on his record in MA,

A has three surcharge points on his record in MA, but A moved to VT. Surcharge points stay on one's license for 5-6 years in MA, but if VT's is time frame is shorter, then does this mean that the current surcharge points on A's record will take less time to clear?

Thank you for the information and your question. Are you talking about insurance surcharge points? I assume that A would obtain a Vermont DL as soon as they moved, is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, insurance surcharge points, and yes, A is obtaining a licence in VT.

Hello again and thank you for the additional information, it was helpful. Since the driver would now be licensed in VT and their insurance would be underwritten under VT laws, and not MA laws, then any surcharges would be added based on VT laws. That doesn't mean that the insurance company cannot consider accidents or traffic violations that occur out of state, it just means for purposes of insurance surcharges they must follow the State law where the vehicle in currently insured and registered and where the driver is licensed.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so, in theory, if A acquired those surcharge points 18 months ago in MA and in VT surcharge points stay on for 24 months, then if A moved to VT and transferred license to VT then those surcharge points stay on for another 6 months?

Yes, that is correct. The surcharge laws of VT would be used. Let me know if you need any further information.