Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

At it relate to used cars, are there laws to protect you againt

At it relate to used cars, are there laws to protect you againt the sales of lemons in north carolina
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes, but it gets a little more complicated.

There is the "New Motor Vehicles Warranties Act" (N.C.G.S. 20-351), but this applies only to new vehicles. Ergo, an "inherent" warranty is not existing with used vehicle sales.

However, one may have a suit under implied warranty.

An implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose is a warranty implied by law that if a seller knows or has reason to know of a particular purpose for which some item is being purchased by the buyer, the seller is guaranteeing that the item is fit for that particular purpose. Tennessee Carolina Transp., Inc. v. Strick Corp., 196 SE 2d 711 - NC: Supreme Court 1973.

An implied warranty of merchantability is a warranty implied by law that goods are reasonably fit for the general purpose for which they are sold. Reid v. Eckerds Drugs, Inc., 253 SE 2d 344 - NC: Court of Appeals 1979.

Now, both are very subjective and are based on (1) the item's condition at time of purchase, (2) the amount the item was purchased for, (3) how long an item of such nature normally would be expected to last for, and (4) whether or not you waived these warranties by writing. In addition, it is up to the Plaintiff to illustrate that the warranties apply, as opposed to a lemon law that automatically applies.

Often, a letter threatening to sue will have the dealer agree to work with you to avoid litigation. Let me know if you need a sample letter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Attorney
Experience: Private practice