Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

What are the chances of getting probation for a speeding ticket 55 in a 35 and careless dr

What are the chances of getting probation for a speeding ticket 55 in a 35 and careless driving after 18 years of no violations? The officer actually stopped me in a 50 mph zone but claimed that he had been following me with lights and sirens for 3 miles that the 3 of us in the car did not see or hear even with the radio turned down low.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Actually, your chances are very good that with a clear record for 18 years and the fact he charged you with both charges that if you plead not guilty and then ask for a conference with the prosecutor that the prosecutor at the very least will dismiss the careless and even reduce the miles over the speed limit to get you to agree to a plea on the one ticket. Of course, this depends on the mood of the prosecutor when you get to them at the time, but in most all cases, they will agree to reduce the speed to 10 over the limit and dismiss the careless, especially if you bring your witnesses with you to tell the prosecutor what you said above about never seeing lights or hearing a siren even with the radio low.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law