LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Criminal and Traffic Attorney for over 22 years.
58185682

I got a parking ticket of $500 for parking in a handicapped

I got a parking ticket of $500 for parking in a handicapped spot. The minimum on the sign says $250. Is it possible to get the fine reduced if I request an administrative hearing?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you today.

Can you tell me where you received the parking ticket?

Also does the citation list a statute or ordinance number?

Also explain why you were parked in handicapped parking spot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received it in the student housing complex where I live. I parked there because there is not enough parking spots in the complex and it was night.

it says on the ticket pursuant to Denton code of ordinances, Sec. 18-134 through 18-144

When you say Denton, you are referring to Denton, Texas, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Marie,

Thank you for that additional information.

$500 is the maximum fine that can be imposed for parking in a handicapped parking space. If you ask for an administrative hearing, when you attend you can explain to the hearing officer why it was you parked in a handicapped space and ask for leniency. The minimum fine for this offense is $250. So if the hearing officer could reduce the fine by 1/2.

The downside of requesting an administrative hearing is that if you are found guilty of the violation there is an additional fee assessed of $25. So you ask for a hearing you could end up paying a total of $525.

You can review the Denton Municipal Ordinances regarding parking here:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10644/level4/SPACOOR_CH18MOVETR_ARTIVSTSTPA_DIV3PAVIDI.html

Are you a student at Texas Women's University?

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
I see you read my response, but you did not respond to my question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. No , University of North Texas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You for the answer

Your school has a legal services department. While from the description of services they provide I doubt they will represent you on your parking ticket, they may be able to provide you with some insight as to how to the administrative hearing turn out in situations such as yours.

http://studentlegal.unt.edu/services/index.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes ! Thank you very much

You're welcome.