How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1804
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a speeding ticket in California while driving home to

This answer was rated:

I got a speeding ticket in California while driving home to Washington. The officer said that I was going 13 miles over the speed limit...which was posted at 70. The ticket shows that the speed limit was 65. Shall I write a letter to Siskiyu County Court?
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hello ri003rj6 and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, mistakes like this neither invalidate the ticket nor provide a defense to this particular charge. Here's why:

In California, the maximum speed law limit (Vehicle Code section 22348, subd. (a)) makes it an infraction violation to ever drive above the maximum speed limit, which is normally 65 miles per hour, even if it is otherwise safe to do so.

Vehicle Code section 22356, subd. (a), allows the California Dept. of Transportation to make the maximum speed limit 70 mph on certain highways (typically freeways) if particular conditions exist. When the posted limit is 70 mph, it is a violation of section 22356, subd. (b), to go faster than 70.

If an officer makes a mistake such as the one you described, the citation can be amended by the court at any time to correct the mistake and reflect the true violation.

Therefore, what will almost certainly happen if you write to the Siskiyou County court (a procedure which is not otherwise authorized in any event, though many judges will consider informal letters from out of state traffic defendants) is that the judge will either take you word that the true speed limit was 70 not 65 or, at the very least, confirm via the CHP or court's own records of the speed limits in the county, that the true speed limit was 70. Then, the court will amend the citation to state the correct speed limit.

If you were charged with a violation of Vehicle Code section 22348, subd. (a), violation of the 65 mph maximum speed law, the court will then amend the citation to charge a violation of Vehicle Code section 22356, subd. (b), violation of the 70 mph maximum speed law.

The fine that would be imposed will likely be the same in either event and a letter alone, even if considered by the court as I described above, will not result in a reduction of the fine.

The correct procedure to follow, if you do not want to have to travel back to California to contest the ticket, is to request a trial by declaration. Information about all Siskiyou County traffic court procedures is available on the court's website at:

Scroll down to the trial by declaration to find information on that process. You will see that you have to call the court traffic clerk's office to request a package of forms that must be completed and returned to the court. On that page, click on the "Contact Us" link to the left for the clerk's office telephone number. Doing so will take you to this page:

The contact number is XXXXX the end of the first paragraph on that page. I would put it here for you, but posting phone numbers in our answers is not permitted.

Be aware, however, that if you elect a trial by declaration and provide the same information in the declaration as you provided here, you will still be convicted, as I described above. Other than a bona fide medical emergency or other extreme exigent circumstances (say, for example, fleeing a fast moving fire or trying to escape from a criminal assault), there is no defense to driving faster than 70 mph on any California highway.

Therefore, you might want to consider the other alternatives described on the court's website, notably traffic school.

Good luck with this situation. If you have any other questions about it, please let me know.

Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1804
Experience: CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Jim Reilly and 5 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely



    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 year experience including traffic law.
  • SoloLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.