How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tower Grove Lawyer Your Own Question
Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 635
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Tower Grove Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

College kid rcvd a ticket in Wake County on April 3rd. School is out and the kid lives in

This answer was rated:

College kid rcvd a ticket in Wake County on April 3rd. School is out and the kid lives in Florida and is being told he must appear before theJudge on May 21st. What to do?
Thank you for your question. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know all the specific facts of your situation. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication. Also, please be aware that none of these communications are confidential and are located on a public web site.

First and foremost, your child does NOT want to miss the court date. Doing so could result in a bench warrant for his or her arrest.

One option (and the option that is most likely to resolve the ticket) is to hire a local attorney to appear in court on your child's behalf. This usually does not cost more than a couple hundred dollars and can likely avoid a court appearance. If you are going to hire an attorney, I would do so soon. Calling an attorney the day before the hearing reduces the attorney's chance of working on a favorable deal.

Another option is for your child to to talk with the prosecutor and see if he will agree to amend or reduce the ticket to a lesser offense. Often, prosecutors will agree to amend or reduce the ticket if you agree to plead guilty in order to avoid the expense and hassle of a trial. I would caution, however, that typically the fine amount will remain the same but the conviction will be for a lesser offense. This will limit the number of points he or she will receive and could even potentially prevent this violation from appearing on her driving record.

If the goal is to avoid a court appearance, I would recommend calling the prosecutor as soon as possible. You should note, however, that some judges will require a person to physically appear in court unless they have an attorney.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of my remarks.
Tower Grove Lawyer and 6 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you