Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.

I was exiting a single lane parking lot in MA. I was about

I was exiting a single lane parking lot in MA. I was about to take a right hand turn in an SUV. I am not sure if I had my blinker on. A small Porsche came up to me on my right side. I was not able to see him in the SUV. I proceeded and hit his front end. Again, this is a single lane exit. If I was taking either a left or a right should the Porsche have been next to me? Since it was a single lane exit, shouldn't he have been behind me and not next to me on the right hand side?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Dimitry Esquire :

Thank you for your question.

Dimitry Esquire :

Please permit me to assist you this evening.

Dimitry Esquire :

I am a bit unclear here, you stated that you were in a single lane, correct? But the vehicle you struck ended up overtaking you?

Dimitry Esquire :

or was the vehicle there and you struck the vehicle as it attempted to get around you?

Customer:

The car I struck was not moving. He was on my right hand side. I was at the exit first and he pulled up on my right. I took a right hand turn and hit his front bumper. Again this was a single lane exit. Should he have been allowed to go to the right side of my car. I was definitely at the exit before his car was there. Shouldn't he had stayed behind me until I exited and not to the right of my car?

Dimitry Esquire :

Was he there first or were you?

Dimitry Esquire :

You stated that he was not moving. If that is the case, he had the right of way as he were there first.

Dimitry Esquire :

But if he went around you on a one lane road and stopped, which then caused you to strike him, then you have an argument that he violated the rules of the road.

Dimitry Esquire :

As he did not obey the single lane designation.

Dimitry Esquire :

But in general a vehicle that strikes a non-moving vehicle is considered to be at fault. If he was in your lane and was crowding you, then arguably he was in violation.

Dimitry Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

i was at the exit first so and if i was taking either a right or a left, he should have been behind me and not at the right hand side of my car, correct?

Dimitry Esquire :

Correct if the lane did not split at the exit.

Customer:

Again this is a single lane exit

Dimitry Esquire :

I understand, just pointing out what to be on the lookout for in case of a counterargument from the opposing side.

Dimitry Esquire :

In a single lane, vehicles have to follow each other single-file, not be on the sides.

Dimitry Esquire :

That would place them in a dangerous condition and impede traffic.

Dimitry Esquire :

And, it would permit you to claim that the other party is liable for the damages.

Dimitry Esquire :

Hope that helps.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful. I am having difficulty printing this out. Could you send your response to my email address? XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Dimitry Esquire :

My apologies but printing is disabled until and if you positively rate this communication. That would allow me to be compensated and would open up the ability to forward this answer to yourself or to print it out.

Dimitry Esquire :

I cannot personally email you but if you will have issues after rating, please follow up and I will ask the moderators to assist you.

Dimitry Esquire :

Happy to hear that I was useful, good luck to you and please be well.

Customer:

So I will be able to print once I submit my rating?

Dimitry Esquire :

I believe so but if you have any difficulty, please post back and I will have the moderators help you out--that is not my expertise I am afraid as I am a legal professional.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Run my own practice.