LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Criminal and Traffic Attorney for over 22 years.

If I am an excluded driver and I backed into a parked car within

If I am an excluded driver and I backed into a parked car within a private property.I exchanged information with the owner. However I was not aware that I was an excluded driver. How should I go about resolving the matter? Should I contact the owner of the vehicle I hit or wait for them to contact me? This all happened in california and the damage is very minor just a dent by the front driver's side.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Because you're excluded the insurance company will not cover the damage. You should contact the other person and offer to pay for damage on your own. You do not want the other driver to report you drove without insurance.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.
Hello, I noticed that you gave my answer a poor rating. May I ask why? Was there additional information that needed? Or did I misunderstand your question?

I understood your question as being whether you should contact the other driver. I indicated that you should contact the other driver. Perhaps I misunderstood. I assumed the accident was your fault - perhaps it wasn't. If it was the other driver's fault you should still contact them and inquire about them compensating you for the damages.

Please let me know what additional assistance you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I was just wondering if I decided not to contact them and waited for them to contact me. Will there be any repercussions?

Sandra,

Thank you for your additional question. I wish you had asked it prior to giving me a poor rating.

Failing to contact them may result in them calling the police rather than you. If the police investigate and learn that you were operating a vehicle that you were not insured to operate that can result in you having your license suspended. It could also result in higher insurance rates in the future. Making it as easy as possible for them to have their vehicle repaired is that best way to avoid having them involve law enforcement.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need more information. If I have answered your question please consider giving my answer a positive rating (3 or more stars).
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing Criminal and Traffic Attorney for over 22 years.