How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 9312
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an expired Idaho driverss license from 2007. It expired

Customer Question

I have an expired Idaho drivers's license from 2007. It expired as I moved to Europe but I was able to renew it twice (for one year each time). After that they no longer allowed me to renew it. I plan on moving to Illinois, USA this year. What do I need to do in terms of getting a current valid drives license there once I arrive (or can I do it from here remotely in advance)? I do not have an EU/Irish license and did not drive over here. Do I have to take road lessons/test and a written test or just a written?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but you cannot do this remotely.
"To obtain an Illinois Driver's License you must:
Visit a Driver Services Facility, show required identification documents and have your photo taken.
Surrender all valid out-of-state licenses, state ID cards, instruction permits and commercial driver's licenses.
Pay the appropriate fee.
Pass the appropriate exams (vision screening, written and/or driving)."

There will be a written test and a vision test. I cannot predict if they will require a driving test but it is unlikely if you have a clean driving record. See page 13 of the pdf posted at

That booklet has all the information needed for the written test, including study questions and answers.

There is also a practice exam posted at

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a new query for you regarding my husband. hope to send it tonight to attention 'northern california attorney'. please look for it in the heading.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 years ago.
The best way to find me again is to post any new questions at

Related Traffic Law Questions