N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983

I have an expired Idaho driverss license from 2007. It expired

Customer Question

I have an expired Idaho drivers's license from 2007. It expired as I moved to Europe but I was able to renew it twice (for one year each time). After that they no longer allowed me to renew it. I plan on moving to Illinois, USA this year. What do I need to do in terms of getting a current valid drives license there once I arrive (or can I do it from here remotely in advance)? I do not have an EU/Irish license and did not drive over here. Do I have to take road lessons/test and a written test or just a written?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but you cannot do this remotely.
"To obtain an Illinois Driver's License you must:
Visit a Driver Services Facility, show required identification documents and have your photo taken.
Surrender all valid out-of-state licenses, state ID cards, instruction permits and commercial driver's licenses.
Pay the appropriate fee.
Pass the appropriate exams (vision screening, written and/or driving)."

There will be a written test and a vision test. I cannot predict if they will require a driving test but it is unlikely if you have a clean driving record. See page 13 of the pdf posted at

That booklet has all the information needed for the written test, including study questions and answers.

There is also a practice exam posted at

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have a new query for you regarding my husband. hope to send it tonight to attention 'northern california attorney'. please look for it in the heading.
The best way to find me again is to post any new questions at