Jack R.
Jack R., Arbitrator
Experience:  Attorney with experience handling traffic related legal issues.
14472836

What is necessary for a non immigrant alien to drive on CT

What is necessary for a non immigrant alien to drive on CT state?

Thank you for using Just Answer.

A foreign driver's license is recognized as valid in other countries with ratified certain international agreements. Your foreign country or origin must be a signatory to an international convention under which the valid driver's licenses of each country are recognized in the other countries. A drivers license from a foreign country can be valid for up to 1 year from the time you enter the country. It is highly recommended you get an International Driving Permit.

While Connecticut law does not explicitly require a foreign visitor to have an International Driving Permit, the Department of Motor Vehicles recommends that foreign visitors have them. Unless an English translation of the driver's license is available the license holder might encounter problems if stopped by a Police.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am a brazilian citizen and I am in Watertown CT . I am in a business travel using a B1 VISA. I arrived on April 4th 2013 and will stay here for 3 months . Can I drive using my brazilian drive license ? If not, how can I get a permission to drive during thisted period (3 months )?

Your BrazilXXXXX XXXXXcense is valid. Brazil is a party to the Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943);