Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
20355756

granddaughter lost permit. how does she get a replacement.

Customer Question

granddaughter lost permit. how does she get a replacement. already passed written & driving tests. needs to have proof of her record
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Did your granddaughter stop by the DMV in person to deal with this situation or did she contact them via phone? I ask just to figure out what options have or have not yet been attempted, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

stopped in person at affton office & at the state driving test office. Neither could help us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We Stopped in affton office and koch road state driver testing office. Neither could help us without her data. she passed written and driving skills test on her original permit,issued in february 2012.

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

I am a different lawyer and I do understand your frustration with this -- I find it very strange that they have no record of your granddaughter or the permit that was issued to her anywhere in the computers. I can tell you that there is no legal precedent for this in Missouri or any other state (meaning that there are no laws to assist you with this problem and in general I can tell you that when state employees mess up on their jobs they will generally try to blame the member of the public who is having the difficulties with them -- rather than admit that they may have messed up and not entered her information in the computer when they should have, they would rather blame your granddaughter and throw the inconvenience back at her). I have addressed several situations of a similar nature in several states and the manner in which we approached it either (a) have the client apply for the driver license when she was supposed to be eligible for it, and when denied appeal the denial and ask for a hearing and bring in witnesses to swear under oath that the permit was issued to her and when (for example, if someone in your family brought her to the office), (b) same situation as (a) but have her apply for another permit and receive it and then apply for the license when she should have received it based upon the date of the first permit and when she is denied, appeal that decision, ask for a hearing and bring in witnesses, etc. However, even trying to use the DMV's appeal system may take almost as long as if she were to apply for a new permit today and wait the full 6 months to apply for the license, because it really does take the DMV's 3-6 months to have a hearing on any matter and there is no way to expedite one case over the other. I truly wish that we could give you a solid, sure fire way to approach this but we cannot do that (and your prior expert opted out and forwarded the question to me and we both conferred that there is no traffic law or any other law in Missouri that can help you get around this -- unless the clerk who issued her the permit is willing to tell his/her superiors that he/she issued that permit and vouch for her, the only recourse that you have is to appeal the refusal to issue the license and see what occurs at the hearing).

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. If not, can you please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below (underneath this answer box) so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press "OK" or better below and I realize that you are probably disappointed but please keep in mind that while I try to give you something that will help you (and it makes me happy when I can do that), Just Answer is not designed necessarily or specifically to help find a legal solution favorable to the customer -- it is designed to ask a lawyer what the law is regarding your specific situation and/or whether or not there even exists legal precedent (in many situations there is none). The answer I gave you depends completely on the law and not my own sense of fairness and justice (because I do agree that this is not fair and I remember counting the days until I could get my driver's license when I was a teen! It was awful !) This is not a hobby for me and it is how I earn a living right now in a tough economy so I DO appreciate it when my customers press a positive rating below to make sure that I am paid for my time (you are not charged any additional money to do this -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me a small portion of what you paid to them for my time and if you do not press a rating or press a negative rating, Just Answer simply retains your entire payment). Again, please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to answer them.

-

MARY

-

THANK YOU !!

Legalease, Attorney
Experience: 15 years exp in driving issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again -

-

Thank you very much for using Just Answer. I noticed that it appears that you tried to post a reply or a request above, but that text or question did not come through with your follow up posting above (you can scroll upwards towards your original question and view your most recent post to this question -- it appears to have been cut off). If you have additional follow up questions to your original question please repost the last message herein and I will be happy to assist you. At present, I am signing off for the evening but will be online again tomorrow afternoon and evening and can address any follow up questions that you may have at that time.

-

MARY