How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 114029
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

RA - fvh

Customer Question

A cop who pulled me over in a 55 said I was doing 77 while I believe I was going 70 max. What should I do? Also I am from CT and this was in NY and I am under 18.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

What were you ticketed for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He gave me a traffic infraction

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

Is this in New York City?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was in Westchester County, Courtlandt Manor

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Your initial post: A cop who pulled me over in a 55 said I was doing 77 while I believe I was going 70 max. What should I do? Also I am from CT and this was in NY and I am under 18.

Response: You need to review the ticket very carefully and follow the instructions on the ticket such as appearing for the hearing on the case and pleading not guilty. Do not ignore the ticket. Then you may consider retaining the services of New York Traffic Law Attorney to assist you with the case, including getting the ticket reduced or dismissed. You may also ask the Court for a telephonic since you are out of state. New York State Courts do offer telephonic hearings.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys that handle traffic cases:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wanted to know exactly what to do.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Well, it is difficult to continue to assist you when you have already given me a negative rating instead of using the reply or continue button. I will opt out and let someone else further assist you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Your previous expert has opted out, but was correct in their response.

What you have to exactly do now is enter a plea of not guilty in accordance with the instructions on your citation by the date on your ticket. You can request a telephone hearing at that time and the clerk will mail notice first class mail to you with the date and time of the hearing. It is best to appear in person when you enter your plea of not guilty, because you can also ask the court for a conference with the prosecutor and if you believe you were doing 70 and not 77 you need to explain this to the prosecutor and ask the prosecutor to reduce the fine based on the speed you believe you were traveling. Most prosecutors are agreeable to make deals on these cases and will agree to lower the speed, which reduces your fine.

This is exactly what you need to do in order to handle this citation. I know you live in CT, but you will have to appear in court in NY to contest the ticket or you would have to hire an attorney to do so, which would likely not be worth the cost to you to do.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”