Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues
72294118

I received a STC Violation statute number 14-298 on CT 5/15.

I received a STC Violation statute number 14-298 on CT 5/15. The office informed me that this would not add points to my license in any way and I was receiving a verbal warning for speeding. My question pertains to whether or not the CT DMV will see this violation as a Moving Violation, in which case I would have my license suspended for one month as the result of being on a 36 month probationary period.

I very much appreciate the assistance on this matter.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Tower Grove Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know the specific facts of your situation. Rather, this is general guidance designed to be useful in a variety of situations. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Please give me a moment to review and research your question.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

14-298 covers a wide range of violations. Just to confirm, you received a verbal warning and not a written ticket of any kind?

Customer:

I received a written ticket that states STC VIOL 14-298 with a $92 fine amount.

Customer:

There is no information on speed posted or actual speed on the ticket.

Customer:

And the officer stated that no points would be assessed onto my license, but I need clarification. Calling the DMV itself could yield mix results due to misinformed staff members.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

I can offer some clarification on this. If you pay the ticket within the guidelines listed on the ticket, it is not considered a pointable speeding ticket and the CT DMV will not asses any points on your license. If you don't pay, however, points may be assessed at a later date.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

So, botXXXXX XXXXXne, if you pay this on time, there are no points.

Customer:

Now if there are no points, that means it isn't considered a Moving Violation?

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Right. 14-298 is a special creature under CT law that only gives the State Traffic Commission the power to enforce laws. It doesn't specify a certain type of violation and we see 14-298 tickets issued for almost everything (speeding, running red lights, etc.).

Tower Grove Lawyer :

But it's only a non-moving violation if you pay the ticket as directed. Once you start to challenge it in court (and/or refuse to pay it) it becomes a full-blown pointable offense.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

In essence, CT has sought to discourage people from challenging these tickets by offering a fine-only penalty.

Customer:

Okay, excellent to hear - and what is your level of certainty on this if you don't mind me asking?

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Sure. I've actually advised a truck driver on this before (I represent CDL holders all over the country) and read a CT bar article on the law.

Customer:

Because, of course, I want to be absolutely certain I am doing the right thing by paying this immediately. I also want to have some peace of mind and not worry about losing my license for any amount of time which would be disastrous.

Customer:

Okay, that is good news.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

I will add this -- every situation is difference, and I cannot look at a copy of the ticket. If you are concerned about losing your license for a month, it may be worthwhile to contact a local traffic attorney. They will usually handle these cases for very little money and may give you additional peace of mind. I am confident in my answer, but I did want to tell you that.

Customer:

I appreciate that disclaimer. I assure you I was honest and accurate with my description of the ticket - it wouldn't do me any good not to be. I wish I had asked the officer at the time...but I was bit caught up in the potential consequences. Would have saved me some money - oh well.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

And you never know if the officer is telling you the truth or not. But I can tell you that 14-298 tickets are very common in CT.

Customer:

Indeed, well thank you for your time and help.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

You're welcome, good luck.

Customer:

Thank you.

Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues