How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 16364
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i lose my license in NC and live in NJ will my i also lose my NJ driving privilege

This answer was rated:

if i lose my license in NC and live in NJ will
my i also lose my NJ driving privilege

Hello there


Your NC lawyer could have told you this. The following states are members of the Driver's License Compact -- Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,
Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont,
Virginia, XXXXX, XXXXXt Virginia, Wyoming.
Although both Rhode
Island and South Dakota have enacted legislation authorizing entry into the
Compact, neither state has formally adopted the Compact at this time.


What this means is that if you have a driving offense in one state that the other state has a substantially similar statute in, then the other state will enforce the penalties -- including the suspension. So, yes, if your license is suspended in NC, it will also be suspended in NJ -- but it generally takes several months to catch up to the NJ system. NJ will enforce the higher suspension. You can also apply for a hardship license in NJ by contacting the DMV there and making an application.



Legalease and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you