Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ years of Legal Practice in Traffic law field.
10805288

My violation is speeding 82 in a 65. What is the likely outcome of the required court app

My violation is speeding 82 in a 65. What is the likely outcome of the required court appearance? Would the outcome be better if I appeared in person or have a proxy on my behalf?

I want an attorney from North Carolina
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As of 9 AM Friday, yes, I am waiting for a response.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing Traffic law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues like yours. I also provide legal information and consulting regarding NC matters on a daily to weekly basis. Please let me know if you would like me to discuss your post with you or if you'd rather wait to see if a NC attorney comes online - either way, good luck with your issue! I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, yes please reply to my question.
Hi again, and thank you for your patience. I have been a stage 4 (highest) professional lawyer with the Company for nearly 4 years, and enjoy giving top notch answers to all of my customers. I am happy to share with you my decades of experience as I donate my time here.

Please DO remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with my diligence and effort in accordance with your chosen transaction. I aim to provide GREAT SERVICE. Until then, please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the question concern you may still have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

That being said, with regard to your post:

My violation is speeding 82 in a 65. What is the likely outcome of the required court appearance? In my experience, you would likely get a conviction of SOMETHING. However, you may be able to get it reduced to something LESS than what it is by speaking to the prosecutor yourself and seeking a PLEA (to something less). What you have now can get you a suspended privilege in NC, which will likely result in your PA license also being suspended due to reciprocity rules:

NC:

§ 20‑16. Authority of Division to suspend license.

(a) The Division shall have authority to suspend the license of any operator with or without a preliminary hearing upon a showing by its records or other satisfactory evidence that the licensee:

...

(10) Has been convicted of operating a motor vehicle at a speed in excess of 75 miles per hour on a public road or highway where the maximum speed is less than 70 miles per hour;

If you can plea to something such as, going 74 mph in that 65 mph zone, rather than just pleading to the 82, you can avoid the possibility of suspension. Either plea will get you 3 points or the PA equivalent, typically.

Would the outcome be better if I appeared in person or have a proxy on my behalf? Yes, if you don't appear, you may be less able to effectively request either an amended charge - unless you have a lawyer that can communicate with the prosecutor and seek to enter this plea without you being present (which would be nice, so you don't have to do that traveling). (I am not confident at all that the court would even allow you to have a non-lawyer represent you by proxy).

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need follow up!

Already Tried:
nothing. the ticket was issued yesterday. I live in Pennsylvania.

Good luck with the decision. If you can get a lawyer to handle it for you for a few hundred dollars, it will likely be cheaper than traveling - if he can manage to arrange the plea without your presence.

-------

I hope this clarifies and I wish you the best.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with my diligence and effort, and will click a button to the RIGHT side of the choices. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

If you do CONTINUE CONVERSATION, If I do not respond right away, please know that I am diligently working here on your question and I will be back as soon as possible, after engaging in any necessary and prudent confirming research to ensure that no recent legal changes have occurred that would effect your answer.

Please also know that your expressed satisfaction with my answer is my top priority, and my time here today with you supports my volunteer work for the Disabled in the U.S.

Only a positive rating on the right side of the choices is acceptable to me, AND unless you so rate me, I am given no credit for time and effort - so please rate accurately with that fact in mind. I have been a stage 4 (highest) professional here for 4 years, and enjoy giving top knotch answers. While I can not provide crystal ball answers and am not a psychic, I am happy to share with you my 17+ years of experience as I donate my time here.

You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq."

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and and better pursuing the details you need. PLEASE ALSO KNOW THAT ANY ANSWERS FROM ME ARE POSTED ON THIS SITE AND NOT EMAILED TO YOU. I DO NOT KNOW YOUR EMAIL AND WILL NEVER EMAIL YOU MYSELF.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do PA and NC have reciprocity?
Thank you for your follow up.

They are both in the Drivers License Compact, and so they DO report to each other. There are only a few states left that are not members, and neither NC nor PA are non-members. However, PA is typically NOT as strict as NC on when to suspend, so while NC will report it and PA will maintain that record, it may NOT suspend, given that NC's ability to suspend is discretionary.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with my diligence and effort, and will click a button to the RIGHT side of the choices. I aim to provide only EXCELLENT SERVICE. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would I be more sympathetic in person or absent but represented by an attorney? What is the best way for me to find an attorney in Charlotte? Also, you said what I have now "can" result in suspension. Is there a definite line?
Would I be more sympathetic in person or absent but represented by an attorney? That would depend on if you had a basis for sympathy. Speeding itself doesn't tell whether you are sympathetic, sympathetic is something like, yes, I was speeding by I had just gotten a call that my father was admitted to the hospital with a major heart attack and I wanted to reach him before he passed. Now that may provide for sympathy. It is often not difficult to be able to get a reduced charge for plea purposes without a lawyer - but if you can't GET there and a lawyer would be able to get you that reduced plea (or better), the investment may be worth it.

What is the best way for me to find an attorney in Charlotte? You can do a google search, such as this one: link

Or, you can go to martindale.com or lawyers.com and do a search there. The former has peer reviews and client reviews if that interests you.

Once you have 1 or more in your list, start calling to see which one may best fit your needs.

Good luck!

Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ years of Legal Practice in Traffic law field.