Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

How can renew my Driver license My temp visitor exp,

Customer Question

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 2 years ago.

AttyDort :

Go to the local Department of Motor Vehicles in person tomorrow morning. Tell them you need to drive legally and you are there to do whatever is necessary. If you wear glasses, bring them. Bring a pen. Bring your lunch. Bring Identification.

Customer:

it is my answer ?

Customer:

I am not happy with your answer

AttyDort :

Well, your question had no important info.

AttyDort :

What state do you have a drivers license in, if any?

AttyDort :

What does "my temp visitor exp," mean?

Customer:

I was drive in New York .

Customer:

when I was got license at time stas was temporary visitor . I have social security , I have business here I have car all so but I can drive now

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, if your temporary visitor status has expired, it is not legal for you to drive in the United States. The state will not renew your driver's license until you are able to provide proof of legal residency. That means that the first step is to contact Immigration to find out what they need you to do, or if they're willing or able to extend your stay. Once you get your immigration status resolved, you will be able to go to the DMV and get a new license.

In the meantime, do not drive, because if you're caught driving with an invalid license, it can make things more complicated.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what do you mean more

Well, driving without a license is a crime. You'll be prosecuted, which means that you could be facing a couple of days in jail, plus fines. Then, they'll suspend your right to renew your license - usually for at least a few months. So, it's important to follow all the steps to get your immigration status renewed or extended, and then get a new license, before you start driving again.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.