Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

Is there any court appointed traffic lawyers available? I

Is there any court appointed traffic lawyers available? I need a free lawyer to help with a suspended license.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
I'm very sorry to hear about the situation. It's very difficult to get by without a license and I know what a hardship that can be. Unfortunately, court-appointed representation is very limited. Court-appointed attorneys are only available for criminal matters and they are not available for traffic matters. In some jurisdictions, they are available in some capacity for family matters as well. Your friend may be able to work out a deal with his private attorney of choice to make payments or use a credit card. Alternatively, he may be able to get discount or free assistance from a Local Legal Clinics (see http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory.html).
My job here is to provide accurate information about the law. Providing bad news is the hardest part of doing my job but it's a big part of doing the job well. If you feel that the law is wrong on this issue, I'd strongly encourage you to contact your legislators, as they are the only ones who can change it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess what I was really asking was what does he have to do in order to get his license re-instated. I can't find out how much his previous ticket is and how can I pay that.
Thank you for clarifying your question. To address the suspension, he's going to have to find out why it was suspended and what needed to be done to have the suspension lifted. There are a lot of reasons a license can be suspended, so he'll have to contact the DMV to inquire about the reason for the suspension. Once that issue is resolved (for instance, unpaid fines and a reinstatement fee would need to be paid), the suspension can be lifted. Regarding the new tickets, I'm guessing, based on the little bit of information I have here, that he's been charged with driving while suspended (a crime) and a violation (such as speeding). The violation, as you said, could simply be paid, but the driving while suspended isn't that simple because that's criminal. He will want to retain an attorney to represent him in that, and his attorney may also be able to help him with the ticket. With both issues, it may be possible to defeat them if his attorney can uncover some defenses and his attorney may be able to negotiate favorable deals if not. All you can do to help him in those matters would be to retain an attorney for him and/or help with his fines.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes he was charged with driving while under a suspended license. You said that was a criminal act; so in that case can he get a lawyer for free to represent him

Thank you for your message. Yes. He can ask the court to appoint a public defender for him at his first appearance. The court will then review his finances and determine whether or not he qualifies for a public defender.
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney