Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

A car in front of me stopped suddenly and I hit the median.

A car in front of me stopped suddenly and I hit the median. The car in front of this car caused the accident. They both left before the police came.. I have the car licence plate. and witness they caused the car in front of me to breakcan I do something?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your accident.

Did your car have any physical contact with the vehicles in front of you that took off before the police arrived?

Was police report taken?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I did not hit the car. Yes, there is a police report.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if there was no physical impact between you and any other vehicle, generally you would not have any legal recourse or claim against these other vehicles that might have created the situation that has caused you to hit the median in order to avoid accident.

Unfortunately, you supposed to keep an adequate distance when you drive between you and the car in front of you, so even if that car stops suddenly that you have enough distance to stop your vehicle without hitting the vehicle in front of you or the median.

Unfortunately, you will need to make a claim against your own insurance collision coverage for any compensation for the damages your vehicle had suffered as a result of this accident.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand and accept your answer; but the cars stopped for a while (5 minutes) and than left. Would the have stoped if they weren't at fault? I think that the fact they left is illegal and incriminate them? thank you for your reply.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, just because a vehicle in front of you stopped to see what happened, doesn't incriminate or make the driver liable for the accident.

I am sure, that you have discussed this with the police officer who responded and he advised you of the same.

I know this doesn't sound fair, but unfortunately this is one of the reasons why it is important to always drive "defensively" and always be on a lookout for aggressive or careless drivers, as many accidents do happen because some of this motorists do drive recklessly and cut other drivers off and unless their vehicle is directly involved in an accident they do get away with it.

I am very sorry for what happened and I am glad you did not get hurt in this accident.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer