Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.

I was pulled over in CT by a state trooper for speeding (80

I was pulled over in CT by a state trooper for speeding (80 in a 65 zone) but my ticket has a different infraction written on it. The trooper said this infraction will carry no points on my license, and it is only $92, instead of the $300+ the speeding ticket would cost. I don't understand what the listed infraction is charging me with. I don't want to plead guilty unless I know to what. the infraction is "Violation of all regulations under 14-298" . Can you explain what that is?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Section 14-298 covers a huge amount of ground, any one of which could result in a traffic violation. (See link) So it's just more efficient for the officer to list 14-298, all of which has the same penalty -- a $92 fine. (see link)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But the ticket says Violation of ALL regulations under 14-298. Will that kill me on insurance?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.

14-98 is simply the statute that gives the State Traffic Commission the power to enforce the laws. You can read 14-298 here, and see that it does not lay out any crimes or penalties. It's the statute that gives the state the authority to charge you.

The speed limit sign is considered a traffic control device, and that's what gives the officer the right to write the ticket up this way. In doing so the officer has given you a break. If he charged you with speeding that would be a moving violation with points. This way it's a only $92 fine, and -- once the ticket is paid to the Centralized Infraction Bureau, it will not involve any points and therefore not affect your insurance. It's only if you fail to pay the ticket as directed and the matter has to go to court when it will become a 2-point offense.

You can read about that here. The officer told you the truth, and I recommend paying the ticket.