SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
18210975

I need a sample letter to a district court judge explaining

I need a sample letter to a district court judge explaining a cell phone violation. It's an option to write a letter rather than appear for mitigation. Although I was listening to a voice mail vta speaker, I did have my phone close to my ear so I could hear the message clearly. I just don't want this put on my diving record since I drive a company truck and I don't want my job to be put in jeopardy.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I have not received an answer to my question. If I don't get a reply by Monday, please cancel my question and refund my $30.00 as I need to get myb letter to the court by the end of the week and I will be out of time.

Thank you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer! My name Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

Could you tell me what you're charged with and what happened? Also, what are the consequences to you?

Thanks!

Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I was charged with talking on my cell phone while driving. I was talking to someone but it was on speaker and I had the speaker of the phone next to my ear so I could hear. My biggest concern is not having this on my driving record due to the fact that I do drive a company vehicle and I'm concerned that it may cost me my job because it is company policy to use an ear peice. My ear peice was available but it was not charged. This is the first time that I've been sited for such a violation as I am very careful to abide by the company policies set. I can write a letter of explanation rather than appear in court so I would like to be able to word the letter so that the court will see it to lesson the violation to just a fine and not deam it a moving violation that will go on my driving record since my job is very important to me and my driving record is very good.

I just don't know how to word the letter.

Thank you.

Thank you.

First, I'd like to explain that there are no magic words to use with the Judge. You simply need to be honest and sincere and speak naturally in your own words. I would hesitate to write it for you because I really think your emotion needs to come out in the letter.

However, I can give you some pointers. Judge's like to give people second chances if they are good people. I would start by showing the Judge why you're a good person and deserve a chance. You should probably talk about your driving record and how you've never had anything on it, always abide by policies, etc. Next you could explain what would happen to you should you be found guilty of the violation.

Finally, explain exactly what happened. Be honest and say it will never happen again. Hopefully the Judge will show some leniency.

This answer is less based on legal theory and more based on appealing to the Judge's emotions. If you tell me what you were charged with and the statute or violation number, I may be able to give you a better clue of what your legal defense might be.

If this was helpful, don't forget to press ACCEPT.

MICHAEL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have a few lines on the form to get this all in. I've been trying to contact the court at the number provided on the form but it"s all automated and i can't get to an operator. I wanted to ask them if I could attach a written statement to the form and sign it. Do you thgink they would accept this?
Most likely they would not. However, you could include the written statement addendum and if they didn't accept it, they would just rely on what was on the form.

Good luck!

Michael
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience: I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.