Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.

I made a right hand turn into the left hand lane ( instead of turning into the right hand

I made a right hand turn into the left hand lane ( instead of turning into the right hand lane) onto aXXXXX There was an officer opposite me at the intersection before I made the turn, and he turned left at the same time I was turning right. We avoided a collision, but he ticketed me for not turning into the right hand lane. I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for this before. When I have the right of way do I not have the right to choose which lane I enter into? If not, then this law is broken all of the time. Was it not foolish of him to assume that another vehicle would turn into the right hand lane? Did he break the law by not yeilding the right of way to me?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

justiceb4all :

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney and would be glad to help

Actually, the legal way to make a right turn and then go into the left lane is as follows:

When a driver makes a right hand turn, the driver should be in the lane which is closest to the right as the driver can get. If the driver wants to move into the left hand lane, he/she can only do so from the right hand lane, turning their left turn signal on, and when the lane to the left is clear, the driver can then safely move into the left lane. Although you may have had the right of way when you turned right, you were expected to enter the right lane as soon as you made your turn and then slowly proceed into the left lane.

Making a right hand turn and going directly into the left hand lane is illegal, I agree with you that this rule is violated every day by thousands of drivers, however, it does not change the fact that it is an illegal driving move.

I wish I could give you the answer you were hoping for and it would have given me great pleasure to do so, but I have an ethical obligation to give correct Answers, so please try not to hold the law applicable to your situation against me,

Please be kind enough to press "Accept" so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Positive Feedback and Bonus are always appreciated.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

Kindest Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Wishes for happiness and good health throughout 2012,

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. of experience in traffic law, traffic stops, DUI, drugs, ARD, family law, criminal defense and personal injury.