LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

what is the fine for passing a schoolbus - I think the lights

Customer Question

what is the fine for passing a schoolbus - I think the lights were flashing, but no people around. Im from germany and was not aware of that law. I go back during the week to germany.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

What state did this happen in?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is texas
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

IN Texas, the fine for failure to stop for a school bus ranges anywhere from $200 to $1,000 US. The higher end of the range is generally reserved for repeat offenders, with the average fine in the $300 to $500 range.

If you can tell me the city or county that you were ticket in, perhaps I get a more accurate amount.

I wish you well.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply held by JustAnswer.com and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been informative, and helpful to your understanding of the law. Thanks again.

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the city was houston in a school area....

there was no school - no one was on the street - a school bus with lights on - two cars behind - in a curve not in a parking spot...

no one gave me a ticket - but it might be the driver wrote my licence plate no. down.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

If you did not receive a ticket at the scene, then you will not be getting one. Traffic violations must be witnessed by a police officer for you to be ticketed in Texas. The fact that someone may have written down your license number will not result in you being ticketed.

In Harris county, Texas, the posted fine for passing a stopped school bus with the lights flashing is $1,080.00. Here is a link to the fine chart for Houston, TX:

http://www.jp.hctx.net/traffic/MovingFines.htm

Again though, as you were not witnessed by a police officer, and you were not given a ticket---you will not be ticketed.

I wish you the best this holiday season.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Doug, thank you so much - and you are 100% sure that there must be a witness by a police officer?

Thanks Silvia

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon Silvia,

Yes, to be issued a ticket for failing to stop for a stopped school bus, the violation must actually be witnessed by a police officer.

I wish you a safe and pleasant trip back to Germany.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much - I wish you happy holidays for you and your family. Silvia
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, kindly.