How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 13533
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

DWLS 3rd Degree

Customer Question

I am from vancouver canada. I was given a mandatory court date for blaine municipal court, in washington state, for a traffic ticket that I had received 5 years ago. I forgot to pay the ticket. I was wondering if there any steps i can take to avoid court and pay the ticket in full? I would like to resolve the matter without going to court as I am unable to get a day off from work to attend the court hearing.

I have been visiting blaine washington for the past 5 years, recently almost on a weekly basis to get gas. I have never had a problem at the border or driving in America.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

What was this traffic ticket for?

Do you know if an arrest warrant had been issued against you for failure to pay this traffic ticket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was a speeding ticket. It happened July 2006. I have been gone across the border many times in the last 5 years as the driver. I never had any issues at the border. About February 2011 I started to get pled over at the border when driving to Blaine for gas. I go about once a week. They stop me at the border and use the code "tango" when I go inside they never tell me why nor did I ever ask. They searh my vehicle and after about a hour wait they tell me I am good to go into Blaine for gas. Always the same routine since February 2011 on a weekly basis. However, last week they told me I had a traffic ticket 5 years ago and called the local police to come deal with me. 2 officers showed up and explained to me that I had an outstanding ticket. They never said anything about a warrant. They read meh rights and said I was under arrest. They didnt cuff me, only said it. They gave me a paper with a mandatory court date and citation number. Also it says charged with driving while license suspended 3rd degree. I can't drive to Blaine anymore they said until this is cleared.

Is there any jail time with this offense? How serious is this matter? Will it affect me going back to America?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

1)This is a criminal misdemeanor offense and carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

2) While this is not a major criminal offense, such as a felony, it is a criminal offense that does provide for a penalty that includes up to 90 days of jail time, however if you have clean criminal/driving record and hire an experienced traffic defense attorney in Washington State, this attorney is likely to be able to have this criminal offense reduced to a traffic infraction, providing you also clear the original speeding ticket.

Also an experienced local traffic defense attorney might be able to waive you appearance at the pre-trial hearings at court and should be able to get this criminal charge resolved with the prosecutor by entering into a plea "deal" for you to plead to a lesser offense/traffic infraction.

3) If you do not address this criminal charge, a warrant for your arrest will be issued and you will be arrested when you try to cross over the border to the US, also your CanadXXXXX XXXXXcense might be suspended.

I would strongly suggest that you do not ignore this criminal charge and contact local Washington state traffic defense attorney as soon as possible to have this matter addressed and resolved.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 13533
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate your advice and I will be taking your advice and clearing the matter ASAP. Thank you again.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using and Good Luck!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own practice.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 27 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have more than 25 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 16 year experience including traffic law.
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney
  • Law Pro's Avatar

    Law Pro


    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years practicing traffic law.
Chat Now With A Traffic Lawyer
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney
571 Satisfied Customers
Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer