Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ years of Legal Practice in Traffic law field.
10805288

I had a BAIID device installed in my car. I am a business owner

Customer Question

I had a BAIID device installed in my car. I am a business owner and have a very stressful life owning and operating a business and taking care of an elderly parent. I need to have a glass of wine a day just to take the edge off. The BAIID device installed in my vehicle does not allow for you to drink. This can be a huge issue for a person who is accustomed to drinking. I almost had a stoke and nearly died. I lost control of my vehicle and it was totaled out. I want a lawyer to represent me in a case versus the Secretary of State's office. I had a Jaguar X-type that was paid in full. I want restitution.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 3 years ago.
*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.

Hi, I note that you are seeking here a lawyer to represent you. We do not offer legal representation or advice here, but if you have a legal question, which you do not mention in your post, I am happy to help you. Please let me know. And good luck with your issue, in any event.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do I need to do from here? I am getting the runaround with the state's attorney's office. I totaled my car because of the BAIID device. I am being falsely accused of driving under the influence. This is the third time that I have had a police officer blatantly lie on me. I am tired of uneductaed, overzealous white police officers falsely arresting innocent black people. Something is terribly wrong in this society when a person is judged by the color of their skin. I am sick and tired of false accusations. My life has been hugely impacted by the decisions of a lot of police officers. Where do I go from here to be made whole?
What do I need to do from here? If you are charged with a DUI again, you need to get that defense attorney (ideally, unless you feel well-versed enough in litigation techniques, strategy and research to handle this alone. People have been successful in that regard, self-representation, with diligence, so that is a personal choice. If you killed another driver or pedestrian, in addition to totallying your own vehicle (which you don't state, so I am hoping not) it is likely best to hire a criminal defense attorney, due to the potential long jail term we are subject to.

I am getting the runaround with the state's attorney's office. In what way?

I totaled my car because of the BAIID device. Didn't you state that you totalled your car because you drove when not able to do so safely? drove, despite knowing that without a glass of wine, you were taking a risk of not being terribly capable? The law typically requires that we only drive when we are capable. If we are not, and choose to drive rather than take a taxi, bus, etc., or have a friend or family member drive us, it is a choice we are typically held responsible for, since we are the only one's in the position to know and or prevent our own actions. Some people actually hire a young person to drive them around, at a relatively small price (particularly in this economy, where minimum wage offerings are being scooped up by the unemployed).

I am being falsely accused of driving under the influence. Which means you can win it, since they have no evidence of alcohol in your system. If you were taken to the hospital due to apparent stroke or accident injuries, there is more than likely blood test results - you can use them as rather solid proof of sobriety. This need not get to trial.

This is the third time that I have had a police officer blatantly lie on me. How did he lie?

I am tired of uneductaed, overzealous white police officers falsely arresting innocent black people. Because of the accident, and your admission that you could not drive properly, it is likely not terribly unreasonable for the arrest. But the beauty is, you just show that there was no alcohol in your system and move on.

Something is terribly wrong in this society when a person is judged by the color of their skin. Is there a reason you believe you are being racially discriminated against? I mean, you did crash your car and seemed to admit above, that you knew you would have difficulties driving it. You didn't choose the safer route of not driving or having another person drive us. That does strike me as an illegal drive, for which any of us would be charged.

I am sick and tired of false accusations. My life has been hugely impacted by the decisions of a lot of police officers. Have your decisions impacted your life at all?

Where do I go from here to be made whole? Get your charges dismissed, (for lack of evidence, at least with regards to DUI, although a "failure to control" or a reckless could result, if you have admitted to them that you chose to drive when you knew you were having withdrawal symptoms or otherwise unable to safely do so, but that beats a DUI, usually)... don't continue to drive when unable - use a driver; Consider getting therapy or help so that you are not dependant on a glass of wine to be able to drive; it is often true that the government, certainly the police, will not help us micromanage our day to day decisions if we are not otherwise under a sentence we must adhere to. Being adults then, it is left to us to make healthy positive choices, and stay clear of violating any laws, including the MV laws. For many, that is a blessing, but for some, they have difficulties, which is why I suggest consideration of counseling, to get to that next level of autonomy.

Good luck, I wish you the best. Let me know if you need and clarification OR if there is a misunderstanding as to any material fact, that would otherwise change the legal answer/result.

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.