Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

YESTERDAY, I RECEIVED A PHOTO TICKET FROM BEVERLY HILLS COURT

YESTERDAY, I RECEIVED A PHOTO TICKET FROM BEVERLY HILLS COURT ACCUSING ME OF RUNNING A STOP LIGHT. I REMEMBER GETTING THOUGH YELLOW LIGHT, BUT NOT A RED ONE. GIVEN ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE CURRENT STATUS OF ENFORCEMENT OF PHOTO TICKETS, SHOULD I IGNORE THE TICKED OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 3 years ago.
Hello mpwcz8j0 and welcome to JustAnswer.

Please be aware that answers on this site are to be used for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or specific legal advice. JA Legal Experts will provide only general information about the law, and will not apply their legal knowledge or skills to resolve or advise on the customer's specific factual circumstances described in the question, such as by proposing a specific course of action. By answering questions, experts do not form attorney-client relationships with users of the site. The laws, regulations, other governing authorities, standards, practices and procedures that apply to your particular question may differ depending on your location and information typically discovered through in-person evaluations or visits. No attorney-client relationships shall be formed on the site, experts are prohibited from having off-site contact with customers and experts may not represent customers in their cases. Communications on this site are not confidential and shall not be the subject of any associated privileges, so post with discretion. Communications on this site are limited, do not involve in-person evaluations or visits, and do not include safeguards and procedures typical of in-person evaluations and visits. For specific legal advice, consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction.

It is NEVER a good idea to just ignore a citation. If you do, eventually a warrant will be issued for failing to appear or pay the fine and your driver's license will be suspended. Then, if you get stopped, you could end up with driving on a suspended license, your car impounded and your insurance canceled. Bad idea.

If you think you went through on the yellow, you may want to fight the ticket, since that is not illegal.

See this website for a lot of information about problems with photo enforced citations and suggestions about how you can fight this one. Which specific tactic you might want to try will depend on the specific circumstances of your case, but there are a lot of ideas here:

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

Good luck with this and thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions about this situation, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
your answer does not reflect recent development in los angeles regarding photo tickets. apparently, the photo tickets are considered "vulontery" and enforcement of photo tickets has been suspended in city of los angeles.it has to do something with nobody signing for the promise to appear in court.
your answer is dated and is unexeptable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again mpwcz8j0.

The city of Los Angeles has decided to stop using photo enforcement of red light violations and has decided to suspend enforcement of such tickets while the lights are being removed.

There has also been a decision by the Los Angeles Superior Court that such tickets are not enforcible because there is no live witness. However, that is an administrative decision by the court, not a legal ruling in any particular case. There's no guarantee that any particular judge of the court will follow that ruling (they are not actually required to do so). Nor is it at all clear yet whether that decision would stand up on any appeal.

Furthermore, you said that your ticket was from the Beverly Hills court, which I took to mean that it was issued by the city of Beverly Hills, which is not only NOT ending its photo enforcement program, it apparently intends to increase use of photo enforcement.

Take your chances if you like; however, if you really went through a yellow light, you will win at a trial. And, if the traffic court in Beverly Hills makes the same ruling regarding such tickets (that is, that they are unenforcible because there is no live witness), you win again.

Once you have won on either ground, it wouldn't matter if an appellate court later ruled that such tickets are enforcible; your case would be done. On the other hand, if you do nothing and that happens, they could still end up coming after you.

Your choice.

Thanks again for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions about this situation, please let me know.
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience: CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that is information i was looking for. i do have a follow up question. i noticed on the payment instructions, the payment should be made to la superior court. which i understand, and i might be wrong, is county court, though, the ticket was issued by BH.
and BH is in the county of LA, are the action and descissions of BH court superceeds the LA superior court? if i did not sign for the ticket, why should i appear.
to be fair, i just viewed the vidio and i did run left turn red arrow light. and i am prepeard to pay the fine. but it is almost $500 and it is a sizable sum to me. and if i do not have to pay it i would love to avoid it, just like anyone else.
Hello again mpwcz8j0 and thank you for the accept, which I appreciate.

The Beverly Hills court is a branch of the Los Angeles County Superior Court. It is a county court and covers the area in which BH is located. The LA Superior Court has adopted a policy that the photo red light tickets are not enforcible without witnesses. That policy is not, however, absolutely binding on individual judges, who can decide each case on its own merits. The likelihood is high, however, that most judges will follow the policy. Therefore, if you take the case to trial, you will probably win on that basis and not have to pay the fine.

Here's the rub; if you don't go, and BH pushes for continued prosecution of these tickets, a warrant for failing to appear could be issued even though it is a photo red light ticket. Nothing is as yet certain about how such situations are going to be handled. As I said in my first response, it is never a good idea to just ignore such things. It is not difficult to request a trial, you just have to go to the clerk's office and say you want to have one. They will either schedule a trial date right there or send you to the traffic court to set a date.

I have never seen one of LA's notice to appear on traffic cites, but many counties have instructions for requesting a trial right on the back of the notice to appear form. If you request a trial and the case is dismissed, it can never be brought back even if the court policy is later over-turned. On the other hand, if you do nothing and such tickets are upheld at some point, the court could resurrect any that were not finally disposed of.

All in all, better to take care of it now. Particularly since, at the moment, it appears that asking for a trial will most likely result in a dismissal.