lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Nationally recognized expert on traffic laws and violations.
15417118

I have a traffic violation VC 24400(B). Driving without headlights

I have a traffic violation VC 24400(B). Driving without headlights in inclement weather (fog). Received a courtesy notice (4 months after the violation...) and of course they make it so complicated I need a lawyer to decipher it! There appears to be an option to take traffic school, but I'm not sure if I can or need to. The bail amount is $233, so I'm paying that of course. Is this an offence that could put a point on my record? And so, should I do traffic school? I'd rather just pay the fine and not do traffic school, but I'm just wondering if it might save me some grief later.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
That specific violation is not on the point list

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/vioptct.htm#1cvc

However there is a general statement

Violation points are assigned to Vehicle Code sections and any other code section, or city or county ordinance, involving the safe operation of a motor vehicle

This is a moving violation so I believe this is a one point violation but you can check with the DMV to be sure. If it is a point violation most people would take California online traffic school to keep it off your record. There is more information on California traffic tickets and traffic school at

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/California-speeding-ticket.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that's why I want to find out if it is a point violation or not. The first link you mention indicates it is not. The second link doesn't talk about it.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Even though that specific statute is not mentioned it does say

Violation points are assigned to Vehicle Code sections and any other code section, or city or county ordinance, involving the safe operation of a motor vehicles

This is a moving violation and I would expect you to be charged a point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DMV says that this violation is an infraction and that infractions do not carry points.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Then you can pay the ticket and it is not necessary to take traffic school since there will be no points. Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know.