Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

Oregon State Police Traffic Stop Procedures. What if anything

Oregon State Police Traffic Stop Procedures. What if anything are state troopers required to do upon stopping a vehicle? Ticket issued for following too close.
1. Do they have to identify themselves?
2. Do they have to state the reason for the stop?
3. Can they ask questions after handing the ticket back to the driver?
4. If other driver was impeding traffic, is there a minimum line-up of traffic to qualify as impeding traffic? State Hwy.
Thanks, BobS
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
1) State Troopers/Police Officers do not have to identify themselves (even though they can) if in full uniform and wearing a name tag.

2) The reason for the stop does have to be stated.

3) Yes cops can ask questions after the ticked is issued a handed over to the motorist.

4) There is no minimum "line-up" traffic that would qualify for impeding traffic. Vehicle operator is always responsible for keeping a safe distance between his car and the vehicle in front of it.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer