Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years practicing traffic law.
11688690

got an improper lane change violation in atlanta georgia and

got an improper lane change violation in atlanta georgia and a Marta bus hit me should I plead guilty or nolo?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
Please explain how they cited you with an improper lane change under the circumstances. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I turned left from the right hand lane in front of the bus, another Marta bus was stopped in front of me when I turned, the bus to my left before I turned speeded up after I was next to the Marta bus stopped in front of me before the lane change. As I was almost in front of him he the driver of the bus that hit my left rear bumper/quarter panel speeded up and hit me pushing me forward, when he hit me he was accelerating and after looking in front of him instead of his right rear mirror he hit me. It did minimal damage tom my car and none visible to the bus, I have pictures of the bus and car after the collision but have no witnesses and don't know if the driver admitted he was looking in his mirror or was speeding up, so I probably have no proof
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have never pleaded nolo, have one dui 3 years ago, and one following too closely ticket about 6 months ago both in other counties

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
basically I want to know the downside of pleading nolo instead of guilty if that is what I think I should do, unless the officer or marta representatives are not present then should I plead not guilty?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
I hate to say it - but their job is on the line here. So expect them to lie or say whatever to protect their job and driver's license.

That unless you have another witness who can testify on your behalf - I don't think you have much of a chance unless this is some rare honest person who will reiterate what he stated before to you. If they do - then hire them, marry them, adopt them, etc. because that's a one in a million person.

Sorry for my cynical thoughts - but I have to much experience not to think they will come up with an entirely different statement if you would plead not guilty.

Pleading nolo is the same basically as pleading guilty as to the end result of being found at fault. Nolo just means your NOT contesting the charges. A plea of guilty means you admit to being to the allegations.

In reality - no difference in the end result - it's just a matter of how you got there.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still need to know if the officer or the marta driver of marta officer that showed up, does not appear in court this afternoon, can it be dismissed and since it involved an accident where no one was hurt, could I get a jail sentence or additonal sentence, like required driving school, community service? I will review answer in about 30 minutes, thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

PS thanks for being honest/cynical

Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
I just don't want you to expect and rely on the fact that they will recant the same story. To the contrary, I would expect them to lie and do whatever to CYA.

In my experience I expect most people to CYA and do whatever it takes to CYA. As such, I prepare for them to CYA - then I'm not surprised when I hear testimony completely contradictory from matters stated earlier. I'm ready for that and pursue accordingly.

So I would go in with nolo plea in my opinion. Hey, you can try - but be prepared they will recant their testimony and call you a liar for even saying they said that.

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years practicing traffic law.