Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
19127644

I was in a car accident. I was making a left turn on a green

I was in a car accident. I was making a left turn on a green arrow and the I was t-boned. I end up going to the hospital and while there a Community Service Aide came there to issue me a citation. He said that I told them I took the light. While giving me the ticket he told me to fill out #3 and file a plea of not guilty because he said there weren't any witnesses, take footage and the most the judge will probably do is make me pay fees and give me no points. When I looked at the police report it state I failed to yield which cause the accident which is not true. the CSA was not even there to witness the accident. The way my car was hit I was hit from the side finishing my turn. I hired a traffic attorney to dispute the ticket in court because I am currently being represented by an injury attorney. My Question is do I have enough detail to get the citation dismissed
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

Since you have not one but two attorneys who are much more familiar with the facts of your case, they really are the ones who are in the best position to know whether or not you violated any traffic laws or were at fault for the accident. You really should be discussing this issue with them. If you had the arrow when you turned, then you did not violate a traffic law. You would not have a duty to yield to anyone if you had a green arrow versus a green light, so I am not sure what the ticket was issued for. If, on the other hand, you ran a yellow or red light, then you would have violated the traffic laws and be at fault. The police report should list the witnesses and statements made by each, other than you and the other party to the accident, if there was a third or more witness that could clearly see the accident, then perhaps they were the ones who stated that you ran the light. Other than that, I can't really guess why you received a ticket and whether or not you can beat it.When you say that you told him "you took the light" I don't know what that means, but if you made an admission of guilt at the scene, that would substantiate a ticket if one other person confirmed your statement.