Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer

I need to write a letter of explanation for a speeding ticket.

I need to write a letter of explanation for a speeding ticket. I am 21 years old, this is my first ticket. I do not believe I was speeding and there was no radar. The ticket is for going 45 in a 30mph zone. I would like to get the ticket dismissed or at least reduced. I would like to keep this off my driving record to avoid having my insurance rates go up.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
I would be very careful writing a letter of explanation. It is virtually impossible to explain without admitting. You may want to try having the calibration checked on the speedometer. Also, some explanations are. That you were passing another car and about to slow back down when you cleared the other car, you were avoiding another person driving erratically or that a truck with an open cargo area was reaping stones and you were afraid of getting the windshield cracked so you were getting in front of the truck. You get the idea.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can or should I say:

I was not looking at my speedometer at the time. I was not in a rush nor deliberately speeding. When I looked down at my speedometer I was going the speed limit. I try to always obey all traffic laws.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
Skip the part about the not looking at the speedometer. Instead, you were moving along with the flow of traffic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. XXXXX also include that I do not believe I was speeding?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
Yes, leave that out. Just that you were going along with the flow of traffic and you always obey the speeding and other traffic laws.