Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 97 toyota corolla that i recently did a

Customer Question

I have a 97 toyota corolla that i recently did a transmission swap on,now its all back together and it wont start,i hear the starter clicking but nothing on the motor actually turns.i also just replaced the starter and it still does the same thing.any ideas?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Have you checked the starting circuit or for power down at the starter?

What year corolla is this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have not checked this where may it be located?it is a 1997
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Both wires down at the starter need to have battery voltage on them with the key in the CRANK position.

It could be something with the new transmission that was just installed or it may be something completely different.

Another thing to consider would be an engine or frame ground as the starter motor needs a good ground (through the engine block or transmission) in order to operate.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ive had the car for about 3 years with no problems until i swapped the previous transmission with one from the junk yard,it seems like the starter is getting power it just isnt turning anything
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Are you sure the engine is able to rotate freely by hand?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I put the car in gear and pushed it around it didnt seem like anything was stuck or siezed
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Did you actually see the engine rotate? It would be hard to push the vehicle if it were in gear.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
A phone call would not give me much help at this moment its pouring down rain at my house so i cant get to the car
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

I would not want to speak with you when you are by the vehicle. I would need all of your attention units so I can explain everything. Then you can go apply the information to the vehicle when we are done speaking.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

Also, just for grins, don't forget to check all fuses (provided you have not done that already)

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 days ago.

I will be here waiting for your reply or phone call. :)