Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Ron, our last question was closed. I was wondering if you

Hi Ron, our last question was closed. I was wondering if you could still help me with that issue?

Please give me one moment to review the other question to see where we left off...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's a recap of what's going on:I have a 1997 Toyota Celica 2.2L 5sfe engine with a manual transmission. I just completed an engine swap into the Celica from a 1995 Toyota Camry 2.2L 5sfe engine. Everything bolted right up and the engine turned on first try.My problem now is that I am getting a P0340 Check Engine Light. (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction). I've double checked the engine timing and it is aligned. I checked the crankshaft position sensor and it had voltage and is within its Ohm range. I also checked the distributor (which is from the celica on the Camry engine I swapped in) and it is within its Ohm range (170 ohms when cold). What else can I do to try and clear this code?

Ok. Yes. Replacing the distributor should solve the problem. If the engine is a 1995 2.2L... then this is how you should order the new distributor. I'm showing that the distributor for the 1995 Camry is only compatible to a 1992-1196 Celica. So, if you order a distributor for a '97 Celica... it would not be compatible and will not work correctly.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so what distributor should I order for the 95 2.2 Engine if it's not compatible to the 97 celica? Does the 95 camry distributor have just one connector too?

If the engine in the Celica is from a 95 Camry... then order a distributor for a 95 Camry. The 95 Camry distributor has 2 plugs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh ok, so what should I do about the extra plug that I don't have a connector to?

Hmmm. That's a very good question. Looking into the 95 Camry... unfortunately, no wiring diagram for the distributor. Bummer. Ugh... and no wiring diagram for the 97 Celica either. Jeeeze. Unfortunately, at this point... I can't even determine which wire is the cam sensor signal to wire it in. My apologies. No idea why the manual doesn't show a diagram for either.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Damn. What would you do in my case? Wouldn't the distributor from the 97 work since it has it built into it? Could there be other influencing factors? Such as crankshaft, timing, or something like that?

No. The P0340 is very straight forward. It's not getting a cam signal. Period. You can "try" the 97 distributor... but no promises that it'll fit into the engine. The interchange guide says only up to 96. But... find a parts store that'll let you return it if it's wrong.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well i already have the 97 distributor in the 95 engine. When you say try, do you mean to try a brand new 97 distributor?

Ah. Well if the 97 fits the 95... yeah... try a new distributor! If not... then you're in for a wiring nightmare. And unfortunately... i have no diagrams provided for either vehicle to even get you pointed in the right direction. You'll need to get the cam signal from the distributor to the ECM (on-board computer) somehow. This is what is lacking and setting the P0340. The ECM is looking for a cam signal, and none is being sent.

It's 5 o'clock here. I got to run for the day. If you have any other questions, I'll have to address them in the morning. If you have no further questions... Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page. Thank-you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will try a new distributor and let you know what happens
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, how does the regular year 97 celica get the cam information to the ECU? If it has no cam sensor? If it's built into the distributor, wouldn't this distributor send that same cam info back to the ECU?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Ron, could you send me the testing instructions again for the distributor for the 97 celica. And for the pick up coil resistance that reads in Ohms. Is it read 135-220 ohms in hundreds?

You can download the test here: https://goo.gl/ylMrNg

Yes. The Ohms values are what they appear. 135-220 ohms is just that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Ron, I installed the new distributor today and the code is still there. What else can i try?

The only other thing I can for you have is provide you with the Toyota diagnostic flow chart for the P0340. Download that here: https://goo.gl/iH3wsu