I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic
46707633

I have an old corolla small body 1991 model. I had its

I have an old corolla small body 1991 model. I had its air-con compressor replaced last August of 2016 with a brand new one. It was working great and cools, but come by December of the same year it suddenly stops cooling. When I turn the air conditioning off then back on after 2 minutes it begins to cool again which still happens until today. A friend said it was electric wiring or that the air conditioning has no automatic cooling , I want to be sure though as I don't know any mechanic here in our area. What fix can I do?

DO YOU HAVE PRESSURE GAUGES...I CAN WALK YOU THRU THIS ON THE PHONE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there, apparently I don't have any pressure gauges and also can't do phone calls. May you please provide me with detailed info about the matter I have? Thank you.
hmmm I prefer gauges...I tell you what I will opt out perhaps someone might be able to help thanks for using just answer
Hello ,welcome and thank you for using justanswer. When you turn the AC on ,does any of the radiator fans come on too? Did you say that after you turn the AC back on again it works good after the 2 minutes ? Let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Glad to have you answer my questions. The radiator fan is on once I put in the keys and put in on ready mode, once I completely turn the engine on the fan is already spinning. Now once I turn the AC on after letting it heat up for 2 minutes then while travelling the AC will loose coolness. But sometimes, a complete travel time for hours and the AC will work normally. I haven't yet taken the vehicle to a mechanic. "Did you say that after you turn the AC back on again it works good after the 2 minutes ?" yes. Can you give me some advice or information about this? Thank you and your response is very much appreciated.
Hi there ,does the ac compressor cycles on and off a lot when at idle with a.c. on? Do you know if the compressor stops when you loose the cold air ? Also can you put some water through your a.c. condenser with a.c. on to see if it works good all the time as long as you cool off your condenser with the garden hose ? I am trying to figure out if you are low on Freon or if you have a AC system cooling problem. Let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've checked during the weekends and the compressor is running smoothly, the compressor is brand new when replaced last 08/2016. According to the documents I have with the receipt, they also loaded it with Freon. I took it fr a ride and the aircon did not loose any coolness for the whole 3 hour ride yesterday. Now tried it again for a drive but after 30 minutes it lost the coolness. There is a humming noise before it looses the coolness, turned it off for 3 minuets and back on then it went back on.
Hi there, unfortunately looks like this is a hands on job , you will need to check that noise to see if has anything to do with AC compressor clutch ,also need to monitor the high and low side pressures of the system , the AC pressures are the most important info to determinate the source and the problem itself. You will need to figure out if it's the compressor that shuts down or if it's the condenser fan that stop working when you loose the cold air. The AC compressor comes with oil ,the Freon is added as the specifications for your vehicle ,low Freon or over charged will affect your a.c. system. Unfortunately it's not easy to me to help as I wish because of some missing info like the AC pressures. I have to say ,take it to a repair shop ,they should be able to tell you the problem in a few minutes. Good luck. Thank you.
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto mechanic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am very much pleased with your responses in reference with the questions I had. I may do some follow-up questions here, in the future if I post some questions again, I do hope I get to have you again as the expert. Have a good one.
Thank you very much.
I hope I can help you out much better next time.