Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Upper Rattle noise from 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder III. Oil, oil

Customer Question

Upper Rattle noise from 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder III. Oil, oil filter cut open looks good. Verified all valvetrain lash is within specs, replaced timing chain tensioner.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: This is a summer car for us, problem started last year near end of season but was put away for winter. Looking into the issue again now. Sound really seems to come from front of engine (timing chain area) and some had suggested that tensioner could have been issue.
JA: Are you fixing your MR2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- The timing chain tensioner could be causing this issue and making chain loose and making that rattle noise

2- does the rattle sound gets any louder when you rev up engine on idle ?

3- now we do also have a drive belt tensioner outside driving the drive belt ?

4- is the noise coming from behind timing cover ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1. Just replaced the tensioner this morning without any major difference in sound.
2. Yes, anything above idle increases the noise level, whether just moving along in gear or sitting still and raising the RPMs.
3. Yes but noise is more "mechanical" and I cannot detect any noise change in that tensioner when increasing RPMs.
4. Again it is coming from somewhere in the timing area but if the number 1 rod is making the noise, it could seem to be the same area.

did you replace timing tensioner or drive belt tensioner ?

did you get a timing chain kit with guides and gears or just tensioner?

does the oil pressure light comes on interment ly or have you noticed ?

do you have oil pressure gauge to test oil pressure ?these are your specs

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder L4-1.8L (1ZZ-FE)

Save Article

Oil pressure switch x Bearing cap sub-assembly . 13 Nm (130 kgf-cm, 9 ft. lbs.) Oil pressure at idle speed ......................... 29 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 43 psi) or more at 3,000 rpm ................. 294 - 539 kPa (3.0 - 5.5 kgf/cm2, 43 - 78 psi)

have you dropped the oil and ran thru a funnel with a screen on it to see if there any metal shavings in the oil

what is the mileage on it now ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Replaced the timing chain tensioner.
No replacement of chain or attending hardware.
No to oil pressure gauge, no to ever seeing oil pressure light at anytime.
Yes, dropped the oil a couple of weeks ago, no metal in the oil and cut apart the oil filter - again no metal.
Just over 98k.

if it is coming from behind the cover and all above is good like you said and not losing oil or smoking all fluid levels are good ,it has to be a timing components , unless we have camshaft , crank shaft out of balance I doubt it on 98 k mile car only driven on weekend

this one is hard know since i can not hear it , make video , put it on you tube and send me the link let me hear it and i can probably give you an answer on what I think

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat