Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2005 prius. the battery is good. I can start it by jumping

Customer Question

2005 prius. the battery is good. I can start it by jumping it at the engine compartment fuse box location and it works fine. But it will not start by using the accessory battery. I used a 12 volt test light at the positive cable near the battery, and that does light. So I don't think it's the red fuse under the red plastic cap near the accessory battery.
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: I looked at the fuse at the battery, and at the fuse panelin the engine compartment and did compare it to the manual. But can't locate another fuse between the accessory battery and the jump start tab in the engine compartment other then the one under the red cap at the accessory battery.
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought it was a dead battery so removed it and took it to a battery store where they tested it and said it was good. I reinstalled it. I used a 12 volt test light and it worked when placed in the cable after the fuse at the accessory battery under the red plastic tab. I tried jumping it at the battery and it didn't work. I then tried jumping it at the engine compartment fuse panel jump site and the engine started right up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Somewhere between the positive cable at the accessory battery, and the jump start tab in the engine fuse box, it seems like the current is interrupted.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has been over 24 hours, and no one has answered my question!
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I read your notes and havw a question before we start. Is that auxiliary battery the original?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Peter. I originally asked this question Sunday and since then have taken it to a mechanic and it was a bad ground and they fixed it. Take care, SH

np thanx for letting me know.