sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I need an air blend door actuator. this is for a1998 Toyoto

Customer Question

I need an air blend door actuator.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: this is for a1998 Toyoto Avalom XLS
JA: What year is your Avalon?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Narrowed the problem down to the air blend door actuator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. what is it youre asking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to know where I can find a reputable parts dealer, besides Toyoto, that has an air blend door actuator for a 1998 Toyoto Avalon XLS. In addition, where can I obtain steps to replace this part?

i can give you the procedure. thats funny, I have a 1998 toyota avalon xls too!.

i wil also look for the part for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks David.

http://www.carparts.com/details/Dorman/HVAC_Heater_Blend_Door_Actuator/RB604106.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CJWq6KGWudECFYhKDQodnfMDQg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it; and the procedure for replacing the part please.

this is whats in the service manual.

I would think it would be a bit more descriptive, but its not a diffucult job so i guess they figure you can figure it out.

can i be of further assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have you ever changed this part?

nope, never had to. let me try to find a better procedure for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mine has an 'AUTO' A/c selector button so I assume the servomotor is on the left of the control panel assembly.

here is an excellent video to show you exactly where the drivers side is. it doesnt show the procedure, but it only take this visual to see how easy it is

https://youtu.be/P7OsTOV-BmI

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The terminology is foreign to e.g. scuff plate, cowl side.lower finish panel,instrument panel finish lower LH panel; can you decifer for a layman?

ill try to find you pics

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That video is for a 2006, David.

it doesnt matter. its the same as a 98

anyway, here is a breakdown of the parts. brighter yellow highlit

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you. have a great week.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll have to take your word that the 98 vs the 2006 are the same and the video shows how easy it is to change out; I'll also have to assume that the parts distributor is showing the correct part for my car because it does not indicate on their website what that part goes to. So David, until I get the part and until I start tearing my car apart to try and replace the part; after that, I'll be able to evaluate just how helpful you have been. For now, I'll give you an "E" for effort. Once the job is complete, hopefully I can give you a much better review. Good night and thank you for your time.

the part IS for your vehicle. and the procedure is as simple as it appears, so please do not patronize me. good day to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
David, I apologize for offending you. I'm sure you have done your best to try and help me.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I replace the air blend door actuator on a 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS w/ "Auto" mode temperature control? I read a review on JustAnswer, dated 17Feb2014 where this question was answered and picture diagrams were included. If you have access to those archives, it might be a good starting place unless of course you have specific hands on experience already. I would like to know the sequence of removing interior body parts that will ultimately gain me access to the defective part; in addition, I would like to know if there are any precautions, tips, do's or don'ts(best practices), etc. that a novice should know before attempting this task.

How did you determine the actuator needs to be replaced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used a volt meter to check that there was power going through the heater fuse and also going through the temperature control switch. All the A/C controls work properly and the two other air blend door actuators also operate properly. However, there is no heat because the blend door over the heater core is not opening and the valve that allows hot coolant to circulate through the heater core is not opening either. I manually opened the valve to make sure that hot coolant was circulating through the heater core thus eliminating the possibility that the heater core was plugged. Also, there has been no drop in the coolant reservoir that would have suggested a leak in the system somewhere.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In addition, the engine temperature gauge comes up to it's normal operating temp thus eliminating the possibility of a defective thermostat. The coolant system is circulating properly.

But you haven't done any testing at the actuator to determine what the problem is, correct?

Don't you have a dual zone system?

There is no heat on either side?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. Until I remove the interior trim parts, I can't get to the power connection to the actuator to check it; but it is not opening because there is not a trace of warm air coming through the ductwork.
Your questions about a dual system and heat on either side needs further clarification. There is no heat inside but there is circulation through the heater core so I don't understand your questions...sorry.

Do you not have a separate temperature control for left and right?

Is there not heat on either side of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is one temperature control; and there is NO heat on either side.

Did you not see the replacement procedure and diagrams posted above?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If by above you mean those provided by David Craig?

Yes, those are from the factory service manual.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no procedures and the diagram is not helpful. If you will reference my original question to you, I was looking for the information that was provided on 17Feb2014 or something useful from your personal experience or expertise.

The procedure was posted above on January 10 at 10:50 PM Eastern, and a diagram of all parts referenced in the procedure was posted at 11:17 PM the same night. I'm unable to post material directly from the service information due to copyright, however the entirety of the procedure from the factory manual has been uploaded to this page.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good night

Good night.