Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Check hybrid system is on along with all the other lights,

Check hybrid system is on along with all the other lights
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: check engine, tire light, all lights that can possibly light up on the dashboard
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2011 pruis
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was just jumping it because it was dead. Figured I left something on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

hello what state of charge is the 12 volt battery now? do you have a voltmeter? If it starts with a jump start and all the lights go off it may need a new 12 volt battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started right away with a jump. Once the battery cables came off the car quit n won't start without a jump. Never seen all the lights come on before. There is nothing in the manual to tell me what I should troubleshoot.

That's because most troubleshooting requires specialized equipment and a professional that knows what they are doing, these cars are somewhat complicated and have about 20 plus computer systems related to the hybrid system, the only thing you can do yourself is what I already mentioned to you, check the 12 volt battery, if it starts and runs with a jump it needs this battery which is in the trunk, the reason it dies out when disconnecting the jumper is because there is no alternator, the battery takes about 5 hours to charge back up, you may consider using a trickle charger set at about 10 amps for about 5 hours and if it doesn't charge sufficiently to operate the computers try replacing the battery.