Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2009 Toyota matrix. This morning as I took a light

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2009 Toyota matrix. This morning as I took a light turn it veered offsuddenly .
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I mean as I was taking a small turn
JA: Are you fixing your Matrix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to get an idea of a diagnosis before I try driving home. It also acts weird when I brake, and the steering feels off This was a sudden problem, not at all gradual
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the awd and check engine lights had been coming on, but would turn off in the same day when I took it in, the mechanic said it was an air filter problem
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just to clarify, the braking problem is like a clunk. I can feel the brake pedal move or throb a bit when I come to a hard stop, and the car makes an odd sound I'm having trouble describing.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 months ago.

Are you driving in poor conditions ice and snow on the roads? Have you ever driven in these types of conditions before?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am in Utah, I've driven through two winters here. Admittedly I'm not the most experienced in these conditions, but I haven't had this sort of trouble before. I assumed the veering was due to ice, although it's almost all melted by now. The steering seemed like I had to overseer a tad, and the brakes seemed mechanical more than road related. I just drove home and it all seemed fine. There was heavy rain yesterday, I was wondering if this threw of my cars anti skid or traction control stuff?

Ice and snow conditions and the vehicle skid control/vehicle stability control and ABS will cause these concerns that you have. If there are no warning lights illuminated currently on the instrument panel it is not likely there is any malfunction. More than likely what you will find is the car was correcting for excessive yaw rate or sliding wheels. The computer will apply brake pressure and this will cause a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal the oversteer condition I can explain for other than perhaps you are responding or reacting to the conditions of the vehicle on the road. If you are on dry pavement and cannot reproduce the problem and the brakes appear to be normal when making hard turns and hard stops I would say that it was probably just the system correcting for the conditions. To be certain I would probably have a brake inspection done if you've not had a maintenance done recently.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Awesome, thank you for putting at ease. I'll get an inspection just in case

You are welcome. If upon have an inspection done somebody gives you some kind of crazy story and tries to sell you a bunch of stuff let me know or the problem reoccurs and I will get back to you. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher so I may be compensated for my time.